Discuss Can I get someone to test my work if I am not NICIEC in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

golum

Hi all members.

Just wondering if anyone could answer a question.
If I was to do an installation or re-wire, am I able to get an NIC regestered spark to do a test certificate for me on a domestic dwelling?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Murdock there no need for that, the reason why I done thispost is that I was under the impression that I was allowed to install due tothe wiring reg's stating that you have to be a competent person and does notsay about any qualified. Last month I spoke to a NIC spark and he said he can'tcertificate it unless I was part P and was also registered myself within aindustry body. He then followed by stating "I can do commercial, just notfor domestic.
Was just wondering how true this was?
So that is what I think but If I already knew for definite Iwould not have asked now would I? It was not meant as a silly question.

Thanks Bigbaddave, Yea well probably would be and I shallhave to look into it as there must be a loop hole that people can go down. If Iwas getting the install done and got someone with the experience in to do itbut could not certificate it, surely a spark would come out and do a test forme? The only one that I feel like I would have to notify would be the localbuilding authority?

Murdock there no need for that, the reason why I done thispost is that I was under the impression that I was allowed to install due tothe wiring reg's stating that you have to be a competent person and does notsay about any qualified. Last month I spoke to a NIC spark and he said he can'tcertificate it unless I was part P and was also registered myself within aindustry body. He then followed by stating "I can do commercial, just notfor domestic.
So that is what I think but If I already knew for definite Iwould not have asked now would I? It was not meant as a silly question.

Thanks Bigbaddave, Yea well probably would be and I shallhave to look into it as there must be a loop hole that people can go down. If Iwas getting the install done and got someone with the experience in to do itbut could not certificate it, surely a spark would come out and do a test forme? The only one that I feel like I would have to notify would be the localbuilding authority?

What do you mean no need for that, Murdoch was asking your opinion.. On this forum we like people to have a go first.. Tut Tut

As for testing anyone can test and if your a spark then you should be able to test.. Its the cert you have the problem with

I mean you did test the install beofore it was powered up right ?

Can you not just get someone in to do the work and certificate it to start with? Rather than looking for loophoes

if you were a registered Part P sparky why would you need some one elese to sign it off?

I dont know anyone who would sign it off.... Thats just encouraging cowboys into the industry for one man to run round testing it all making a mint signing it off!! If your comptent y not go Part P??

Well maybe a tut tut on my behalf but it did sound like hewas saying that it was obvious and no need to ask. This is a new site for me soI am still getting used to it as you may see via the amount of posts I havemade.
If that is what he meant then my apologies for reacting. Hecould have said what would your opinion be and to give it a go, instead of "what do you think"? wellsorry anyways.

I am only talking in text as now doing private work indomestic but it is different from my normal commercial installs and I will nottake any jobs on if I can’t get anyone to do the Schedule of test andinspections cert etc.
I always test the circuit before I call out my normal testeras otherwise he charges if any circuit has any fault finding or if it is non compliantetc.
It is going to cost me about £1000 to get NIC registered andI will do it eventually but at the moment I can’t justify doing it until I havethe right amount of work on.

Why NICEIC?? There a rip off... And *******s to work with!! If you only need Part P for domestic dwellings then y not just go with elecsa or napit! That will only cost about £400 p/y! Low overheads = Low quotations = MORE WORK!! :) GENIUS!!

I cant see any sensible electrician signing off someone else's work,at the end of the day if you sign it off and it goes wrong later it comes back to you.IMO if you can't sign work off then don't do it.

My spell check is not working on this site so was using word to spell check, only just noticed it.

I am not looking for loopholes in my work just looking for a way of getting it signed off. As I said before, I know my tester comes in on site and that is all he does is test, commercial is my area but want to do houses too, just wondered if there was any way of going about getting the papers?

I have a mega tester myself, the person that comes on site (my tester) uses a fluke, but says he can only test my work on commercial not domestic. He said it something to do with the local building authority won't let him test unless I am registered with NIC? It all just sounds strange.
I called NIC myself but with how much it costs I can't do it at the moment and wondered if there was a way of getting a domestic person to test?
It sounds like a no, will probably just stick to commercial if this is the case?

Can you pay the local building authority to do that? Might have to call them in the morning to see if they have any light on the situation. Just a shame that I have to stick to commercial.

Lovely,Ovengloves! I've seen a lot of bro's dissed in their hood,but NEVER over their choice of font! Like it...(no disrespect to OP intended!)

Guess that what is what u get when trying to learn about a new forum, was just making sure that grammar was ok. Learned via my mistake.

Reply to Can I get someone to test my work if I am not NICIEC in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net