Discuss Can i hardwire a plug and play AEG induction hob? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Malpin77

DIY
Reaction score
We've recently brought a new build house and it's come with an AEG induction hob. We quickly realised there wasn't enough power to heat more than 2 pans at once. Rather pointless given its a 4 ring hob and slightly challenging cooking xmas dinner!

We've had Bellway out and they explained its a plug and play so there's only 13amp power supplying it. We would need to purchase a new hob and then hardwire it instead so there's enough power to use all 4 hobs.

What weve since realised is that there's already a separate circuit for the hob which is running at the 30amp required for hardwiring. This may be a stupid question but could I simply cut the plug off our current hob, remove the socket then hardwire it? This should provide the extra power needed.

I'd rather not spend out another ÂŁ300 on a new hob if it's not required. My concern is the plug and play hob isn't capable of dealing with the extra power so at the same time don't want to bust the current hob.

If useful the model is

AEG HK604200IB 59cm Induction Hob​

Any help would be much appreciated. Over the past few days I've been searching online and in the manual but struggling to find anything on the topic.

Thanks all

What happens you you try to heat with all four rings.

Edit. Just been looking at these plug and play hobs as I have never heard of them. It seems they restrict the power output so a 13A plug can be fitted making it easy for the end user to install. Altering its means of connection from a 13A plug to being hard wired will make no difference. Unless someone is more savvy with these appliances I believe your only option is an alternative hob.

Last edited:
According to the user manual, you can use any combination of heating zones but they will operate at a reduced power output if the total load exceeds 13A.

You should not remove the plug and connect it directly as the fuse is part of the electrical protection of the appliance. Doing so will give you no benefit as the manual appears to state a maximum power demand of 3kW (i.e. the hob is designed to limit itself).

If I was in your position, I might be inclined to check the sale particulars, but I suspect they have supplied exactly what you agreed and in this case it's down to the fact that you've misunderstood the capabilities of the hob. If however it doesn't reduce the power and allow you to use all four zones, that may be a fault that should be looked at under warranty (assuming it's still under warranty).

Hi - as per @SparkyChick - it’s got 6.5kW of elements but it’s controller manages this so the max load is 3kW. The unit is factory supplied with a 13A plug. Reading the manual just now I could not see a user function to disable the power controller. And there’s no point making any cable changes if the power controller can’t be disabled. AEG may be able to assist in some secret manufacturers way, but I suspect they’ll just suggest you replace the hob, sorry.

Thanks all for your replies, really helpful. It's not the answer I was hoping for but I now know I need to suck it up and buy a new hob!

Joining this forum was just a shot in the dark before just making a call on what to do. I didn't expect such quick responses. Thanks again for all your time looking at this.

Reply to Can i hardwire a plug and play AEG induction hob? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net