Discuss Can I measure the level DC 'leakage' current piggy backing on an AC supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi !

Much talk of the use of type A, type B and Type F RCDs recently.
As we know all are specified at varying levels to ignore the blinding effects of transient DC currents, that are being superimposed on our AC circuits by modern technology.

But is there a means to measure the level of this superimposed DC current ?

We are told that 6mA of leakage current is the arbitrary cutoff between using a type A and a Type B or F RCD, but how do we determine when that 6mA has been reached?

Is there a clamp meter for example that can read sufficiently low enough DC current amongst the noise of the AC supply? I know that Megger do an 'earth leakage clamp meter' (DCM305e) but this is only for measuring AC leakage on the CPC.

Presumably the DC transient currents we are talking about are on the line and neutral conductors.

Thanks in advance.

The main difference between type A and type B is the B will trip on smooth DC, the sort you would get from a battery or similar, where as type A only works on "pulsed DC" (sort you get from rectified AC), a combination of DC and AC, as they have a differential transformer that is not so easily saturated by the DC part but actually trip on the AC component of that waveform.

You can get DC clamp meters but they are expensive, same reason type B RCDs are expensive I guess! Here is an example:

Reply to Can I measure the level DC 'leakage' current piggy backing on an AC supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I've just carried out a periodic inspection on a building on an old RAF/USAF site. Commercial single story building. Wiring system is around...
Replies
Views
I know how I was taught to test a RCD, 6 tests in all two no go, two under 300 mS and 2 under 40 mS with no load. But thinking about it not so...
Replies
Views
I'm looking at buying something for measuring leakage current - The Megger DCM305e (I think). Not specifically for nuisance tripping but more for...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all, I live in a block of flats with communal garages and have been tasked with resolving a minor electrical issue we may have. (Having no...
Replies
Views
Mark Bat
M

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock