Discuss Can I recycle cable insulation? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Look at the recycling of plastic bottles and tin cans. 20 years ago these would have been buried in the ground like everything else was. Not now.
Yeah yeah yeah... I'm not saying we don't do any recycling... just that generally it's not what people think it is. Glass, metals and PET bottles are the easy ones...

Another example of a recycling 'con' was Starbucks coffee cups which used to say on the side "100% recyclable"... which was true... however there was only 1 plant in the country that had the technology to do it... and only saw <0.1% of all the coffee cups.

I think they're in the process of changing the design to make them more generally recyclable... which is good, but they had to be called out in the media for that to happen.

IMHO, I don't think we've found the right model to deal with plastics waste yet... all the time plastics are so cheap to produce and so easy to use, manufacturers will continue to use them in abundance. Putting the onus on local authorities to then collect it all up and recycle it simply doesn't work. But how do you change this model ? How do you make the producers and users of plastics more responsible 'up front' ? Taxes ??

There are ways.
Did plenty of work for one small firm in the 90's, mostly repairing and maintaining machinery. They took any waste pvc, including cable insulation. Loads of it, all colours, was chopped into very small pellets in a big round slicing centrifuge and came out grey. The pellets were then fed into two big, long, extruders, coming out as a hot black gunge. That was cooled to a certain temperature, cut, whilst still soft and then manually fed into presses, coming out as large black traffic cones......orange and white covering applied before they totally 'went off' and hardened.
The firm went down after a few years and I've often wondered how big that particular industry was.

What one did you get and do you think it's worth the time stripping the insulation?
I got a cheapy £20 one from eBay.
It depends on your definition of 'worth'. If you are purely talking about money then no, it's not worth the time (works out to around £3 p/hour) unless perhaps you're just doing 6mm+ size cable.
However, I quite enjoy doing it. Radio on, sunny day, cup of tea and a bit of stripping... so then it's worth it.
Although now perhaps it's not, due to the recycling issues as that will be on my mind when I'm stripping it!

There used to be a factory in Northampton which had a skip outside for the public to put their polystyrene in. I'm not sure what they did with it but this product is difficult to recycle and ends up in landfill so at least they played a small part in stopping that.

There used to be a factory in Northampton which had a skip outside for the public to put their polystyrene in. I'm not sure what they did with it but this product is difficult to recycle and ends up in landfill so at least they played a small part in stopping that.
Great to see... I wish local authorities would organise themselves better and provide this sort of thing.

But it's a difficult sell... even on the micro level... the development that I live on is run by a management company, of which I am a director. I tried to convince the rest of the board that we should scrap the existing 4 individual bins per property for a bank of shared bins that would allow us to better separate recycling and reduce plastic waste. It all fell on deaf ears.

Reply to Can I recycle cable insulation? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock