Discuss Can i replace a Downlight with one different to the rest? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Placemat

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I've got 6 Luceco downlights in my cellar. One is now flashing on & off. I've taken it out & can see that it's a contained unit, I can't replace the bulb.
Is it possible to buy a different Downlight to replace or do I have to buy the same model?
Thank you.

Is the question still active or removed?
The question is still active and will get answered. Admin just moved the thread into the correct forum section.

Cant you get the exact same model? The number will be on it somewhere, and Luceco is a known brand. Just take the faulty one to a local electrical wholesaler and they will be able to source.

ebay or Amazon if it is a redundant model.

The question is still active and will get answered. Admin just moved the thread into the correct forum section.

Cant you get the exact same model? The number will be on it somewhere, and Luceco is a known brand. Just take the faulty one to a local electrical wholesaler and they will be able to source.

ebay or Amazon if it is a redundant model.
Thank you. I'll just order the same unit then. I want sure if I could replace with a different light as the one I need isn't in stock. Typical! I'll find it somewhere.
Thanks again.

Stocked by Screwfix: Luceco Downlights | Indoor Lighting | NoLinkingToThis - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/c/electrical-lighting/downlights/cat840836?brand=luceco

This is why, out of all the downlighters I've installed, precisely zero have been integrated LED.
I also have never installed an integrated led downlight and never will. They are incredibly stupid and a money making scheme. I wonder how people explain to customers that when the downlight goes out the entire fitting must be changed rather than a lamp? It's bad enough enough floodlights etc are disposable but downlights are just ridiculous.

I also have never installed an integrated led downlight and never will. They are incredibly stupid and a money making scheme. I wonder how people explain to customers that when the downlight goes out the entire fitting must be changed rather than a lamp? It's bad enough enough floodlights etc are disposable but downlights are just ridiculous.
I agree Matt. I moved into this property last December and the cellar had been done out with 6 downlighters. I would never use these myself. Having a fitting with a replaceable bulb makes so much more sense.

I would suggest there are instances where an integrated fitting can be better that one with replaceable lamps. For example, if you need something a lot brighter than you'd get from a 5W (or 7W) GU10. I this case I try to fit something known to be reliable, rather than the latest new model that will likely be obsolete and unavailable in 6 months.

I don’t mind the integrated type. Cheap enough now, and most come with the screw less terminals. Bish bash bosh.

Both integrated and replaceable lamps have the problem that if, in a big room and you have 6,8, 10 or more, and one fails.
If you don’t get the exact same make, model, colour temp, lumens etc It is very obvious one has been changed.

Both integrated and replaceable lamps have the problem that if, in a big room and you have 6,8, 10 or more, and one fails.
If you don’t get the exact same make, model, colour temp, lumens etc It is very obvious one has been changed.
First of all, if I fit a number in a room, I supply the customer with a few spare lamps, and, failing that, it's no big deal to replace all the lamps.

I would suggest there are instances where an integrated fitting can be better that one with replaceable lamps. For example, if you need something a lot brighter than you'd get from a 5W (or 7W) GU10. I this case I try to fit something known to be reliable, rather than the latest new model that will likely be obsolete and unavailable in 6 months.
For such a low ceiling, I think these 6 integrated lights are quite bright! Would it be OK to replace with a lower wattage Downlight or do I have to keep them all the same?

You can fit whatever wattage you like, and of course, there are dimmable LEDs available. LEDs also typically come in three colours - warm white, cool white and daylight. Warm white is the one I'd always go for in any kind of living area. Some integrated LEDs are switchable between the different colours, IIRC.

For such a low ceiling, I think these 6 integrated lights are quite bright! Would it be OK to replace with a lower wattage Downlight or do I have to keep them all the same?
As brian says, you can fit what you like, they don't have to match, but it can look off if you mix light colours, and also a mix of brightness / wattage, depending on the room layout. If too bright, I'd suggest a dimmable type, and an LED-compatible dimmer, but if the ones already fitted are not dimmable, that would mean replacing them all.

Reply to Can i replace a Downlight with one different to the rest? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net