Discuss Can I replace for motion sensor bulbs? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
My Dad has 4 of lights in the hall at the bottom of the stairs. As he is elderly I am concerned about him falling . Would it be possible to change the bulbs so they detect movement as he starts to descend the stairs?
Currently he is using ever ready halogen R80(E27) 60 watts
Any easy solutions or advice would be greatly appreciated IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg
IMG_2303.jpg
Betty

Good evening Bettina,
Depending on where the lights are you could simply get bulbs that come with a simple motion sensor, here's an example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BRTLX-Motion-Sensor-Stairs-Hallway/dp/B075WTQ99V
61HACf7DybL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Notice these are NOT R80 so they might not fit or protude when you install them. I looked for some R80s with motion sensor but couldn't find anything but dead links or out of stock products, you might have a better look searching on local stores, they do or did exist at some point.

Those LED lamps with built-in sensors look perfect, but the various reviews are pretty poor. Also each light would only come on when he was sufficiently close.

You could get an electrician in to fit some separate motion sensors to switch all of the lights, which is common in office blocks, etc, but that would be more expensive and really would need to get a quote from one or two electricians in his area. Here are some examples:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/c/electrical-lighting/motion-sensors/cat4910012
There are many more, and some sensors are more expensive as they use wifi, etc, but they might work out cheaper if it reduces the amount of effort for putting in cables, etc.

It is possible some folks on this forum might be able to help you, but if posting any details publicly keep it to post-code level or town at most.

One option would be to replace the switch with a Quinetic 2 gang receiver switch
and then put the Quinetic PIR detector (no wiring required) in a suitable place to detect dad
So the switch will continue to work the light if needed, and the detector will also switch it on when someone detected.
You can also set up two-way switching with another wireless Quinetic 'stick on the wall' switch if needed.

A snag with PIR bulbs is that, if the light switch gets turned off (eg through habit etc) the bulbs won't subsequently Illuminate! The Quinetic solution avoids that issue.

Last edited:
Those LED lamps with built-in sensors look perfect, but the various reviews are pretty poor. Also each light would only come on when he was sufficiently close.

You could get an electrician in to fit some separate motion sensors to switch all of the lights, which is common in office blocks, etc, but that would be more expensive and really would need to get a quote from one or two electricians in his area. Here are some examples:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/c/electrical-lighting/motion-sensors/cat4910012
There are many more, and some sensors are more expensive as they use wifi, etc, but they might work out cheaper if it reduces the amount of effort for putting in cables, etc.

It is possible some folks on this forum might be able to help you, but if posting any details publicly keep it to post-code level or town at most.
Those bulbs are regular LED with a tiny sensor glued to the diffuser. Just realised OP said (all?) of the lights are at the bottom of the stairs so it wouldn't work, I thought you know there were lights at the top and also at the bottom hence the two switches.

Installing proper sensors is always better but indeed more expensive since it requires additional wiring and work.

Two-way switches and timers are also common -at least where I am- for staircases and they're not as expensive to install. But they require lights at the top and bottom to make sense.

Reply to Can I replace for motion sensor bulbs? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net