Discuss Can I safely add a 50 amp breaker to this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello! I’m confused as to how to add up total amperage on my panel when it comes to double pole and single pole. So I can avoid overload. I want to add a 50 amp breaker. Any advice?90A20AF0-4B21-47A4-B9EE-6B2B843179B1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! I’m confused as to how to add up total amperage on my panel when it comes to double pole and single pole. So I can avoid overload. I want to add a 50 amp breaker. Any advice?View attachment 58590
Stevey I’m sorry to tell you this but your panel is full with no extra space left. If you will hire an electrician he or she could possibly add slim line breakers in your panel to free up some space to add another breaker. Don’t worry about overloading your panel. I had to do them same thing last weekend

Doubt you will overload that panel- most residential services are over-sized even by NEC load calc standards. If any space will take a quad breaker I'd go that route. Make sure you use Siemens/Murray, I see a Cutler Hammer BR breaker to the top left which is technically not for that panel.

Doubt you will overload that panel- most residential services are over-sized even by NEC load calc standards. If any space will take a quad breaker I'd go that route. Make sure you use Siemens/Murray, I see a Cutler Hammer BR breaker to the top left which is technically not for that panel.
Stevey what is that 30 amp double pole breaker on the top right that is turned off used for. If it’s not being used it can be taken out and install the correct 50 amp breaker in that space

Stevey I’m sorry to tell you this but your panel is full with no extra space left. If you will hire an electrician he or she could possibly add slim line breakers in your panel to free up some space to add another breaker. Don’t worry about overloading your panel. I had to do them same thing last weekend
There is a spot for a double pole at the bottom left. Sorry the angle was bad.
[automerge]1591224204[/automerge]

Quad breaker? This is my first time hearing big of this.. what would be the benefits for this?
[automerge]1591224275[/automerge]
Stevey what is that 30 amp double pole breaker on the top right that is turned off used for. If it’s not being used it can be taken out and install the correct 50 amp breaker in that space
Hello! I need the 30 amp it is for my dryer ?
[automerge]1591224714[/automerge]
My concern is that I was told to only run at 80% capacity on a breaker. If I were to install another 50 amp I know this would be the draw. At the least. I have an indoor hydroponic setup and they require a lot of power. Three separate rooms. 3 of the rooms drawing 15 amps each for the regular 120 volt sockets, a mini split drawing 30 amps in both rooms and then 50 amps each to power the equipment consistently for 12 hours. The other third room drawing 30 amps. Totaling to about 190 in double pole amperage. And 45 in single pole.

I have yet to add in the draw for the office space(15 amps), stove + kitchen circuit, water heater.

also what is the facts about using a different branded breaker? Is this a big issue?

Last edited:

Quad breaker? This is my first time hearing big of this.. what would be the benefits for this?

My concern is that I was told to only run at 80% capacity on a breaker. If I were to install another 50 amp I know this would be the draw. At the least. I have an indoor hydroponic setup and they require a lot of power. Three separate rooms. 3 of the rooms drawing 15 amps each for the regular 120 volt sockets, a mini split drawing 30 amps in both rooms and then 50 amps each to power the equipment consistently for 12 hours. The other third room drawing 30 amps. Totaling to about 190 in double pole amperage. And 45 in single pole.

I have yet to add in the draw for the office space(15 amps), stove + kitchen circuit, water heater.

also what is the facts about using a different branded breaker? Is this a big issue?

Stevey you can’t add all your breakers. What is meant by quad is slim line breakers. Regular breakers are 1 inch and slim line breakers are 1/2 inch so you can install 2 for one. Quit worrying about overloading your panel if you add all the breakers it will certainly be over 200 amps but if you would put an amp probe on your panel you probably are not going to pull over 60 amps at the most. I’ll explain it like this you have what’s called a calculated load which is what you see on your breakers then you have a connected load. With that said that you will not be having all breakers pulling amperage like your hot water heater, oven, dryer, heat, air conditioner, microwave will not be pulling amperage on all breakers at the same time. I hope you understand what I just told you and quit worrying
Hello! I’m confused as to how to add up total amperage on my panel when it comes to double pole and single pole. So I can avoid overload. I want to add a 50 amp breaker
[automerge]1591228941[/automerge]

Stevey no matter what name brand panel you have look under the cover at the factory sticker. It has the style and type breakers you can use plus the torque requirements. A lot of different name brand breakers will work but if an inspector sees that that particular breaker is not recommended he or she will fail your installation and will not let you have power until it is corrected.
[automerge]1591229012[/automerge]

Stevey no matter what name brand panel you have look under the cover at the factory sticker. It has the style and type breakers you can use plus the torque requirements. A lot of different name brand breakers will work but if an inspector sees that that particular breaker is not recommended he or she will fail your installation and will not let you have power until it is corrected.

Last edited:
It will work, I see no reason why you can't add a 30 amp breaker to the panel. Adding the handle rating of each breaker means nothing, not everything will run at once, at full current draw. I'm willing to bet you could get away with a 60 amp main breaker.

Stevey you can’t add all your breakers. What is meant by quad is slim line breakers. Regular breakers are 1 inch and slim line breakers are 1/2 inch so you can install 2 for one. Quit worrying about overloading your panel if you add all the breakers it will certainly be over 200 amps but if you would put an amp probe on your panel you probably are not going to pull over 60 amps at the most. I’ll explain it like this you have what’s called a calculated load which is what you see on your breakers then you have a connected load. With that said that you will not be having all breakers pulling amperage like your hot water heater, oven, dryer, heat, air conditioner, microwave will not be pulling amperage on all breakers at the same time. I hope you understand what I just told you and quit worrying

[automerge]1591228941[/automerge]

[automerge]1591229012[/automerge]

Thank you very much!! God bless you. ?

Reply to Can I safely add a 50 amp breaker to this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net