Discuss Can I sign off my own work? New 2014 laws? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

liamlalor

Can I sign off my own work when carrying out electrical installations?

I am currently employed as an Electrical Maintenance Engineer and work with everything from 33/11kv transformers right down to installing a new light. I work with everything from switchgear, busbars, motors, VSD's, installing 415 I'Line boards to just installing new sockets, lighting etc...

I currently work shifts so i have a lot of spare time to complete extra installations out side of work.

These are the qualifications i currently hold,

HNC Diploma Level 4/5 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Engineering Maintenance
Level 3 Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology, City & Guilds 2330
Level 2 NVQ in Performing Engineering Operations
Level 2 Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology, City & Guilds 2330
Level 1 NVQ in Performing Engineering Operations

With these qualifications and my competency level, am I able to sign off my own work? If not then watch organisations do i need to register with? Prices? etc...

Regards,

Liam.

Do you plan to do notifiable work?

Do you have PL Ins?

Have you registered with HMRC for your 2nd income?

Have you told your vehicle insurance you need business cover?

I have looked at quotes for insurance i'm just doing my research. The company is willing to hire me part time as a maintenance tech on many properties they own.

The work will include all aspects of maintenance such as painting etc...

I was just enquiring if i needed to put some new sockets, lighting in could i do this myself and sign off my own work with the qualifications i hold?

Regards,

Liam.

I have looked at quotes for insurance i'm just doing my research. The company is willing to hire me part time as a maintenance tech on many properties they own.

The work will include all aspects of maintenance such as painting etc...

I was just enquiring if i needed to put some new sockets, lighting in could i do this myself and sign off my own work with the qualifications i hold?

Regards,

Liam.

I repeat, are you planning on doing notifiable work?

you really need to add the C&G 17th ed. wiring regs cert to that list of quals just to cover your own arse.
just to add

bs7671 amendment 3 is released in janjan 2015 but it doesnt come into affect till june/july or installations designed on/ after that date.

dont do the 17th course till jan and only if it incorporates the new amendment

Can I sign off my own work when carrying out electrical installations?

I am currently employed as an Electrical Maintenance Engineer and work with everything from 33/11kv transformers right down to installing a new light. I work with everything from switchgear, busbars, motors, VSD's, installing 415 I'Line boards to just installing new sockets, lighting etc...

I currently work shifts so i have a lot of spare time to complete extra installations out side of work.

These are the qualifications i currently hold,

HNC Diploma Level 4/5 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Engineering Maintenance
Level 3 Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology, City & Guilds 2330
Level 2 NVQ in Performing Engineering Operations
Level 2 Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology, City & Guilds 2330
Level 1 NVQ in Performing Engineering Operations

With these qualifications and my competency level, am I able to sign off my own work? If not then watch organisations do i need to register with? Prices? etc...

Regards,

Liam.
Yes a very skilled job but no need to be electrically competant to run your fingers up and down a MM5 resetting frequency's, the rest of your skills impressive, however you do look like you have a decent amount of decent qualifications and need the 17th to complement them, this will allow you to convince your customers you are competant even though you clearly are, and if you can add 200 quid onto a job you do then of course you can avoid a scheme, you may find it is cheaper to just give in and become a scheme member though, around 1-99 to 2-99 for notification, most LABC costs exceed 200 notes fella.

I appreciate all the advice. The question is what would be the bare essentials to be able to commence with work and signing work off my self. All the qualifications I have learned are based upon 17th edition regulations anyway, so I don't see the difference in getting my 17th edition.

As im new to all this working alone thing I would be greatful if anyone could give me some advice on prices for various basic electrical work undertaken.

Regards.

I appreciate all the advice. The question is what would be the bare essentials to be able to commence with work and signing work off my self. All the qualifications I have learned are based upon 17th edition regulations anyway, so I don't see the difference in getting my 17th edition.

As im new to all this working alone thing I would be greatful if anyone could give me some advice on prices for various basic electrical work undertaken.

Regards.

So you have stated you want to do notifiable work, so therefore you need scheme membership, which means spending money to comply with their requirements. This will include insurance, set qualifications etc.

me thinks you need to learn how to walk before you try and run.

and as for pricing, you may as we'll pluck figures out of the sky as very few people will quote their prices on an open forum.

It is a requirement of BS7671, that before any new work is energised, that it be inspected, tested and appropriate certification (if required) be issued.
It doesn't really matter what if any qualifications you have, you have to be able to sign off your own work in order to comply with BS7671.

If you intend conducting notify able work (and notifying it), then you can either pay for the LABC to come out and inspect, or join a self certification scheme.
If you join a scheme, you will require the 17th qualification.

Thanks.

I'm just getting different information off different people and just want to clear things up as much as i can.
I'm in no rush with starting anything straight away, as i said i am already in full time employment just want to be able to work out of hours too.

Guys at work that have previously worked as domestic electricians have said in regards to qualifications and joining relevant schemes with just you do and you don't, so i'm just trying to straighten my facts out before i progress any further.

I realised i might not get much information about asking for guide prices but like i said i'm just trying to get a feel for it.

Regards.

Thanks.

I'm just getting different information off different people and just want to clear things up as much as i can.
I'm in no rush with starting anything straight away, as i said i am already in full time employment just want to be able to work out of hours too.

Guys at work that have previously worked as domestic electricians have said in regards to qualifications and joining relevant schemes with just you do and you don't, so i'm just trying to straighten my facts out before i progress any further.

I realised i might not get much information about asking for guide prices but like i said i'm just trying to get a feel for it.

Regards.

It really is quite straightforward, if you want to sign you own work off and register with a scheme provider, then pick up the phone and ask THEM what qualifications they require.

As for pricing, you know what you need/want to earn per day. Work out how long each job will take, add materials etc and don't forget about the overheads you might not see straight away (eg driving to and from wholesalers, paperwork etc).

It really is quite straightforward, if you want to sign you own work off and register with a scheme provider, then pick up the phone and ask THEM what qualifications they require.

As for pricing, you know what you need/want to earn per day. Work out how long each job will take, add materials etc and don't forget about the overheads you might not see straight away (eg driving to and from wholesalers, paperwork etc).

And don't forget that as a 2nd income you will pay Tax and NI on every extra pound you earn so don't forget to save for this and do your tax returns on time or you you will get fined too!

Reply to Can I sign off my own work? New 2014 laws? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock