Discuss Can I sign-off work? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can any qualified electrician sign off EICR and EIR.

can you do this without being part of on of the electrical associations?

Also I am in Scotland incase any differences apply

Thanks

Short answer is Yes.

To put your signature on the forms, you need to be compitant
Qualifications are often used as a way of proving that you are.

However, depending on where you are, England Scotland and Ireland all have slightly different laws about reporting electrical works to various government agencys

In England it can often be building control for domestic works, each local area will have slightly different procedures for people not registered under a scheme and may or may not accept that you are competent to sign off on it.

Can any qualified electrician sign off EICR and EIR.

can you do this without being part of on of the electrical associations?

Also I am in Scotland incase any differences apply

Thanks
James pretty much covered it.

In terms of certification - EICR and EIC, anyone considered competent to do the work is expected to be able to complete a certificate (or be supervised by someone who can). The only limitation in regards to the Electrical Associations I can think of is that you can't issue an NICEIC certificate if you are not with them (and I presume likewise with others) - but the form itself is more or less standardised from the regs so there would be no need to.

Notification under Part P of the Building Regs in England & Wales is the thing where you generally need to be a scheme member and that applies to only certain work.

According to this page these schemes do not apply to work in Scotland as they have their own building standards - link here

Someone who actually works in Scotland will hopefully be able to clarify on whether that has any membership or notification implications.

If it is for a building warrant it the onus is on the local authority to ensure the electrician is competent. They often say they only accept test certificates from SELEC registered companies but you can usually argue this as long as your ECS card has inspect and test and building regs on it.

In Scotland you need to be either and Approved electrician with NICEIC or SELECT or be SJIB and attach proof of your qualifications with the EIC to Building Control
Does this only apply for the installation certificates?

Select seem to have it so that you need to be an approved electrician so you can then become an approved certifier and you must be an approved certifier to sign off both EICR or EIC.

Does anyone know if the NICEIC domestic installer
1. Needs to be approved?
2. Can sign off EICR's

And thanks for all replies so far much appreciated ?

Select seem to have it so that you need to be an approved electrician so you can then become an approved certifier and you must be an approved certifier to sign off both EICR or EIC.

1. Needs to be approved?
2. Can sign off EICR's

NICEIC's domestic installer scheme doesn't cover EICRs (in England, but I'm assuming it's the same in Scotland). Though that doesn't mean you can't do them - just not on NICEIC paperwork.

For testing, you need to have knowledge, experience and understanding... or at least that’s what the tutors said when I did my 18th.

I’m in Scotland, and I’ve not had any trouble not being a member of a cps in regards to testing.

some councils may stipulate it, so it’s down to a postcode lottery.

1. Needs to be approved?
2. Can sign off EICR's

There is no such third rate ‘system’ in Scotland as a DI. You’re eithey qualified and competent or you aren’t

From English government
12.10Carrying out an inspection of electrical installations is a complex task that requires an extra level of qualification and competence achieved beyond the standard 4-year vocational route commonly followed by qualified inspectors and testers. Therefore, Government will develop, with industry experts, new guidance for landlords stipulating who can carry out the mandatory electrical installation checks.
It also gives average price at £155 for an EICR. But I have hunted for some thing saying you must have x qualification and have failed.

I bought my house last year, and before buying it had a house buyers report done, as part of the report it commented on the electrical installation condition, it was not what anyone in the electrical trade would call an EICR, however it was a report on the electrical condition so I suppose technically it was, it said there was a disused fuse board in the void of the false ceiling, it was not disused it did the main house, so was rather useless, but the guys degree was far higher than mine. How courts would view it I don't know.

The English law puts the onus on the owner to ensure the person doing the test is qualified, it talks about a check sheet to get fitted in showing the qualifications but I can find no government site showing what is required, I have found house rental sites and scheme provider sites, but nothing official from the government.

Seem to remember the Scottish government did ask for level 3 and resent learning but that could be the 18th edition exam.

I did my C&G2391 but all my EICR were in house, some times I have been asked to do repairs listed in an EICR and when I have got there I have questioned if the report was actually for that property, with both missed faults, and non existent faults listed, I have done work required and issued a minor works certificate, but had I been a council building inspector reading the EICR and the minor works then they simply did not tie up.

One I was given was full of F1's where the inspector had found some asbestos wads in the fuse carriers, well he said he had, when I opened the fuse carriers they had all been replaced, it was money for nothing.

To my mind the problem with doing EICR is if you miss something which will cost to be corrected, and a warranty runs out as a result before it is found, then you could be given the bill for the repair. So the first EICR on a new build will be within the 10 years, miss something and next one is outside the 10 years, so could be an expensive error. I am not prepared to take the hit, so do not do EICR's except in house.

Reply to Can I sign-off work? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net