Discuss Can I sign off work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

daveyzadams

Lads, I passed my 2391 a couple years ago I'm a time served JIB electrician and halfway through an HNC, can I sign off a condition report for a house I rent out and have tested.

Hi daveyzadams,I've removed your post from the 'Fixing Of Trunking' thread where it was off topic and made it into a new thread for you.

Hi Davey lad long time no see, all you need for an EICR is competence so that's you buggered:)(if it were for someone else I'd say PI insurance too) Sorry mate it was too good an opportunity to pass up.
Seriously though mate I know that you know your stuff so get it done.

Ha ha, Trev I tried to call you the other day but it went straight to voicemail, 999, give me a bell tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave edit your number off that post mate, you could be oipening up yourself to all kinds of internet idiots who mioght chance upon this place by accident. I've PMd you my new number, text me yours or ring me in the morning.

To answer your OP, yes you can sign off an EICR.
In fact the only stipulation for someone to conduct an EICR, is that they be competent.
Whether whomever you intend handing the EICR to, will accept you issuing a report on your own property is another matter.

Marvo,
Cheers for the direction of the thread and the caption underneath, but I had an experienced tester with me giving me a hand, but as a 16th edition DB was installed he didn't want to sign off the sheets until a new DB was put in, which I personally don't think it needs.

Cheers for that Trev, I thought this place was safe : 0
You can never tell mate, there's a few of the guys on here have my mobile number and email address but there's also a lot that I wouldn't give them to plus there's always the chance of some random idiot picking up your number and bombarding you with crap.

Spinlondon,
Should be ok as I have 10M public liability ins through my LTD company, so what good is the 2391 now if a competent person can sign.

Marvo,
Cheers for the direction of the thread and the caption underneath, but I had an experienced tester with me giving me a hand, but as a 16th edition DB was installed he didn't want to sign off the sheets until a new DB was put in, which I personally don't think it needs.
He's an idiot Dave, if the install complies with previous editions of the regs and is acceptable for continued service then there is no reason why the EICR should not be signed off. By the sound of it you've been stiffed for a new CU mate

Marvo,
if its an EICR....then why the C/U upgrade?....
as long as its good for continued service.....and of course it was installed correctly as per the regs at the time of install...

He's an idiot Dave, if the install complies with previous editions of the regs and is acceptable for continued service then there is no reason why the EICR should not be signed off. By the sound of it you've been stiffed for a new CU mate
beat me to it Trev...lol..:D

Trev,
I'm not putting it in that's why I'm signing the sheets, only thing is though the last sheets which I got someone in for in 2007 say that an R1 R2 couldn't be obtained for the downstairs lighting, that's because the six downright in the kitchen are fed from a transformer which can't be got at without major hassle, can I just take the reading from the sitting room light ?

A very good question.
Originally the 2391 was designed at the behest of the NICEIC, as a requirement for anyone applying to be a QS to prove their competence.
For some reason the NICEIC dropped it as a requirement.
A cynic might point at the high failure rate amongst those already registered as a QS with the NICEIC.
Who knows?

If you ask the C&G, they would have told you that the qualification was for existing Inspectors to be able to prove their competence.
However it appears that the majority of people sitting the exam, had little or no experience of I&T, and the exam appears to now be used more as a requirement for employment as an 'Electrical installer' or 'Electrician' rather than for as a requirement to be an 'Inspector'.

Spinlondon,
Cheers for the reply, I still have a lot of 17th edition 239 1 papers if you would like to have them, message me and I will send them over

Reply to Can I sign off work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock