Discuss Can I switch on an Economy7 immersion heater during daytime hours? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Serkit

DIY
Reaction score
We are replacing our Economy7 hot water cylinder due to a leak that has two immersion heaters and an indirect coil from our multi-fuel stove. My plumber has only been able to find a cylinder with one immersion connection (plus the two 28mm indirect coil connections).

Is there a way to switch on the immersion heater during daytime hours if we needed to top up on hot water?

Any ideas or advice would be very helpful.

Yes, an E7 controller will do as you require.
There are also other, simpler devices which just have the boost function.
Alternatively, any competent plumber should be able to fix a second immersion heater boss to a copper cylinder.

Alternatively, any competent plumber should be able to fix a second immersion heater boss to a copper cylinder.
Hello Brian and thank you for your reply. I had a poke around on the internet and found this.

Is it the sort of simpler device that you were thinking of? It looks very easy to operate and it would replace the function of our second "top" immersion heater. It would be cheaper than having a plumber supply and fit a new immersion heater. I assume that it is installed in the flex to the immersion heater in the airing cupboard?

Hello Brian and thank you for your reply. Was this the sort of simpler device that you were thinking of?

It would certainly be cheaper than a new immersion heater and fitting it.

How does it work alongside my existing Economy7 system? I have two electrical supply flex cables in the airing cupboard, one to each immersion heater. Being no expert, I assume that these come from my consumer unit, which switches over at midnight to turn on the Economy7? During the day, after 7.00a.m. the system swiches over again. How do I maintain a live supply during the day or am I overthinking this one?!

I don't think the device you have found is suitable. It appears to be just a timer that would be used with your previous set up with two immersion heaters.
The device you need has the 7 hour supply cable and the 24 hour supply cable coming into it, and switches the feed to the single immersion heater between the two. The one I am familiar with is the Horstman E7BX, but following a quick search for one, it
looks like it may have discontinued.
The E7Q, or its digital equivalent is the most commonly used device these days, since it allows the start of the overnight heating of the hot water to be delayed by a few hours, reducing losses from the cylinder. This type of timer only requires a single 24 hour supply, and can be used with either one or two immersion heaters.
One problem with just a single immersion heater is that it heats all of the water in the tank, which is fine if you're heating it on reduced price electricity, but it limits you to heating all of the water on full price electricity as well, if you want to boost it during the day. A second immersion heater, intended for use with a daytime boost is typically mounted half way up the cylinder, so that it only heats the top part of the tank, getting this much smaller quantity of water hot using much less expensive electricity.
Cylinders with a coil and two immersion bosses are available. Your plumber needs to try harder.

Reply to Can I switch on an Economy7 immersion heater during daytime hours? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock