Discuss Can i take a Fused Spur from a 45Amp Cooker Point in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Dave0098

hello every1, i want to put a extractor fan in a shop kitchen, the easiest method from looking at the job would be to come off the cooker switch with a fused spur and power the extractor fan this way. its only a small extract fan, ive not bought it yet so i would say its no more than 1-2 Amps load.

cheers Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
personally i class cooker point as dedicated circuit, that has been calculated for its demand and so wouldnt feed from it, not sure where regs stand on this though, just my method.

personally i class cooker point as dedicated circuit, that has been calculated for its demand and so wouldnt feed from it, not sure where regs stand on this though, just my method.

If its just anything up to say a 9 inch xpelair or the like it is going to be of no consequence to the calculations (if any were done) to the cooker circuit but its not really the done thing.

so from what i gather aslong as the fan dosent compramise the cable current carrying capacity im ok. but i cant really find a answer in the regs which says, "this is not to be done". from my calculations the cable will be ok upto 44Amps. the cooker is about 25Amps thats well under the 44Amps calculated. if the cooker was closer to the maximum current carry capacity of the cable then yes i would say its maybe not safe to take a spur from it. but i think theres plenty to play with there for an extractor fan circuit. after all some cooker switches come with a 13Amp socket outlet.

thanx for your replys, its good that we can have opinions from someone elses point of view which some might not have thought of or taken into acount.

cheers Dave

No one is arguing with you marks, but as cooker is dedicated circuit for that appliance then the norm is to leave it alone, also as sparkswillfly stated , at home i wouldnt think twice but for a customer i wouldnt do it mainly as its not common practice.

similar to light switch in bathroom, can it be fitted inside the bathroom - yes, but its not common practice

hello every1, i want to put a extractor fan in a shop kitchen, the easiest method from looking at the job would be to come off the cooker switch with a fused spur and power the extractor fan this way. its only a small extract fan, ive not bought it yet so i would say its no more than 1-2 Amps load.

cheers Dave
Just run it off a lighting circuit.

Hi Jason

Nice question the answer is 2.5mm can carry 27amps and the spur-off can only generate 26amps maximum. As a socket has its own local overcurrent protection and it would not be probable for both sides of a double socket outlet (if fitted) to overload at the same time and if this did the cable would take the short duration.

Regards

So basically a 2.5 spur from the cooker point would be ok, especially if it was only powering an extractor.

Hi

Yes, I had this debate with one of the inspection councils many years ago and he suggest for this you could even use 1.5mm, but should use larger just incase someone puts a double socket on the spur, this was before part P when incompetent people worked on their own installation ha ha. I believe from the science of it the current will not divert from the direct path to the cb so the load current will not enter the smaller cable.

Please correct me if I have got this wrong.

regards

now i can understand some of you saying the cooker circuit is a dedicated circuit, but like i said in my last post, some cooker switches come with a 13Amp socket outlet on them. so thats not part of the dedicated circuit, because theres nothin to stop some pluggin whatever they like into that outlet. im using just a cooker switch with a fused spur thats going to be rated at something like 5Amps, dnt really see any difference.

and to Electro i always try and use the same size cable to the supply side of the fused spur as from where im spurring from.

Dave

You are absolutely correct Dave, however, the circuit should have been designed taking into account the extra loading the socket puts on the design current of the circuit.

Reply to Can i take a Fused Spur from a 45Amp Cooker Point in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock