Discuss Can i use a redundant chimney for extractor fan? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all..

I have just been core drilling a 105mm hole for an extractor fan in a bathroom wall. I had a good look around on my pre works visit and realised it was a wide wall (600mm) but my core drill can handle that. Got through 600mm+ and then the customer tell me that there is another wall on the other side, from an old house that was taken down.

So.... I have to get through 1.2m. I may be able to start from the other side and marry up the holes, but i will be working at height on a ladder with a big core drill and I would like to avoid this. My one other option is to use the chimney breast. The hole I have made has hit the side of the chimney breast and completely opened up into the chimney. Can I just vent into this if I make sure it has not been capped off? if not, what are the reasons for not doing this? Will the air not just vent out through the top of the chimney breast?

Evening all..

I have just been core drilling a 105mm hole for an extractor fan in a bathroom wall. I had a good look around on my pre works visit and realised it was a wide wall (600mm) but my core drill can handle that. Got through 600mm+ and then the customer tell me that there is another wall on the other side, from an old house that was taken down.

So.... I have to get through 1.2m. I may be able to start from the other side and marry up the holes, but i will be working at height on a ladder with a big core drill and I would like to avoid this. My one other option is to use the chimney breast. The hole I have made has hit the side of the chimney breast and completely opened up into the chimney. Can I just vent into this if I make sure it has not been capped off? if not, what are the reasons for not doing this? Will the air not just vent out through the top of the chimney breast?
Unless you can run ducting up through the flue, I think there could be a risk of moisture condensing inside the flue and leaching through to the internal wall - it would probably discolour the wall with soot it carries with it.

Is there any option to go up through the ceilng to the roof and duct to a tile vent?

Unless you can run ducting up through the flue, I think there could be a risk of moisture condensing inside the flue and leaching through to the internal wall - it would probably discolour the wall with soot it carries with it.

Is there any option to go up through the roof and duct to a tile vent?
Thanks Jim.
No option to go above, there is another room.
I don't think the chimney breast is a good idea, but I thought I'd ask.
It's got to be around 3-5m vertically from the fan to the top of the chimney.

can't see a problem . I done a kitchen one some time ago. straight into the cimney. any dead birds will get chopped up in the fan ready for some scouse.

I'd put a duct up through the chimney rather than just venting it directly into the chimney.

Also make sure you close up the hole into the chimney otherwise the smell of soot and sometimes bad staining will seep through.

Reply to Can i use a redundant chimney for extractor fan? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock