Discuss Can I use a Sky dish with two cables to feed two Freeview enabled TVs? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ringer

-
Reaction score
Have a customer who has three TVs, all new Freeview-enabled models. Lounge TV is fed from aeriel on roof and picks up Freeview signal ok. Kitchen TV and Main bedroom TV are both fed from an aeriel inside the loft. Both have poor signal and terrestrial only. There is a sky dish with a quad lnb and two cables leading into second bedroom. This used to feed a sky box when her son lived there - he has moved out so no telly/skybox etc in this second bedroom, just the two cable-ends.
Can I take the two cables from the sky dish and separately connect them to kitchen and bedroom TVs so she can get Freeview (or is it Freesat?)? Will this work without a satellite decoder? Is there any modification required to the sky dish or lnb?

Seems then that the choice is:

Roof aerial --> Lounge TV = Freeview
Sky dish --> new sat box --> kitchen TV = Freesat
Sky dish --> new sat box --> bedroom TV = Freesat

or

Roof aeriel --> into loft space --> 4-way splitter
way 1 ---> lounge TV = Freeview
way 2 ---> kitchen TV = Freeview
way 3 ---> bedroom TV = Freeview
way 4 ---> one way spare

or

Is there an easy way to tell if a new TV is just Freeview enabled or if it in fact has a Freesat decoder built in?

Your second suggestion is best from what you said in your first post.
If they are freesat tv's they normally have a female F-TYPE connector on the back, and prob have freesat logo somewhere.

Your second suggestion is best from what you said in your first post.
If they are freesat tv's they normally have a female F-TYPE connector on the back, and prob have freesat logo somewhere.

I did see a picture of a satellite dish on the menu on one TV but unfortunately did not look any further into this. Does this mean it is definitely Freesat or do all digital TVs have this type of menu icon? May have to ask her to plug a TV into the sky cable to see if it picks up a signal.

Just seems a pity not be able to make use of the sky dish and existing cables. Would save me having to run aerial into and out of the loft space - it is one of those roofs where the eaves overhang the top of the upper storey which leaves a 3inch gap under the tiles and felt about 18 inches high from soffit board to loft space. Not going to be easy!

The little sat logo in the setup menu I see on loads of freeview tv's, the easy way to find out is check model numbers on manufacure websites for the spec.
Do you have to put splitter in loft?

...Do you have to put splitter in loft?

Seems best place for it - existing cable from roof aerial is over top of tiles to front of house, then down front wall to lounge. Bedroom is directly above lounge, but kitchen is to rear of property. Best route I can see to kitchen is through loft space. Was thinking of re-routing so goes over tiles, under eaves, through soffit, up that small gap then into the loftspace.

Ringer you can wire any tv up to a SKY dish but here is how it works.
1. Freeview you get through that metal thing on the roof.
2. Freesat is just a sat version of Freeview
3. FTA or Free To Air Sat is about 300 channels you can get for nothing without subscribing to SKY

If you have a sat dish go look at it if there is 1 cable then you have a sky box if there is 2 cables then you may have 2 sky boxes or one sky+ ie sky+ plus is just a twin reciever hence 2 cables Also look at the cone end of the dish the cables are connected to its call the LNB there are 2 versions either a single or a quad there used to be twin units but they got phased out if there is a single then it is easy to change it to a quad this is the config I have for sky+ - sky multiroom - and freesat that is built into my panasonic tv
So what is the pros and cons of freesat well you can set your region to london like me as I live in Edinburgh but like to see the English footie plus some progs they are not showing up here like the big ITV dramas that STV will not show.

Reply to Can I use a Sky dish with two cables to feed two Freeview enabled TVs? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net