Discuss Can I use the sheath of the SWA as the CPC in this example? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Morning..

I have a garage fed by 4mm, 2 core SWA. It is a 25m run from the CU. Can I use the armour as the CPC? The Main house is TT.

I have always used 3 core so have not come across this before. i am about to check my notes as I know I have information on this and will find the formula to work it out but I wanted to start a thread as well in case I miss anything.

Cheers.

Morning..

I have a garage fed by 4mm, 2 core SWA. It is a 25m run from the CU. Can I use the armour as the CPC? The Main house is TT.

I have always used 3 core so have not come across this before. i am about to check my notes as I know I have information on this and will find the formula to work it out but I wanted to start a thread as well in case I miss anything.

Cheers.

Re. thread title, no, you cannot use the sheath as a CPC, it's plastic.;)You also ask about the armour, which might be possible. Does anything in the garage require bonding?

Re. thread title, no, you cannot use the sheath as a CPC, it's plastic.;)You also ask about the armour, which might be possible. Does anything in the garage require bonding?
Your first line worried me a little then :D

Nothing requires bonding.

I have now had a quick read and it looks like I need to use the adiabatic to find S. I then use Table 54.7 as the protective conductor is not the same as the line conductor.

That makes sense but do I use 0.1s for t as this is a TT and the RCD will be used for fault protection?

I have also read this article.
Using the armour of SWA[1].pdf
The table on page 4 suggests it will be fine to use the armour for a 4mm cable. However, how do they arrive at there figure of 9.0 in the column for min CSA of SWA as they do not have a Ze or t?

Attachments

• Using the armour of SWA[1].pdf
    65.9 KB · Views: 48
There is a table in either the ODG or BS7671 relating to the size of steel armouring to CU CONDUCTORS

Manufacturers produce two core cable so you would have to assume in most if not all circumstances that the armour is adequate for use as a cpc. You have a TT system so the chances of it not being adequate is slim to none. Of course you should prove this and disconnection times are 1s for distribution circuits and 0.2s for all other.

I have also read this article.
Using the armour of SWA[1].pdf
The table on page 4 suggests it will be fine to use the armour for a 4mm cable. However, how do they arrive at there figure of 9.0 in the column for min CSA of SWA as they do not have a Ze or t?

That table has been doing the rounds for years, and is only partially correct at best.
It uses the table 54.7 method to determine the required size of cpc.

With regards that table... How can he just give a fixed 'yes' or 'no' dependant solely on the CSA of the cable (and the amount of cores)?

The table he bases it on 54G is now table 54.7 on page 198 of the BBB. That table uses the value of K1, K2 and S (assuming the CSA of the line conductor is <16mm as in my example). All of these are variables not constants so you cant give fixed values based solely on CSA of the conductors of the SWA.

For example... K1 and K2 vary depending on the cable being thermoplastic or theromosetting and even more of a variable is S as this depends on I and t??

Edit... I've read the tables a little more now and see there are different tables for thermoplastic/thermosetting etc so that just leaves S?

Apologies if I’m hijacking @happyhippydad, isn’t there a certain swa cable size that most all cables under that size would comply for use of swa armour as cpc?....
Two core, 120mm starts to become the size where Table 54G may not be complied with. The three and four cores are larger than that but without looking can't remember.

With regards that table... How can he just give a fixed 'yes' or 'no' dependant solely on the CSA of the cable (and the amount of cores)?

The table he bases it on 54G is now table 54.7 on page 198 of the BBB. That table uses the value of K1, K2 and S (assuming the CSA of the line conductor is <16mm as in my example). All of these are variables not constants so you cant give fixed values based solely on CSA of the conductors of the SWA.

For example... K1 and K2 vary depending on the cable being thermoplastic or theromosetting and even more of a variable is S as this depends on I and t??

Edit... I've read the tables a little more now and see there are different tables for thermoplastic/thermosetting etc so that just leaves S?

S is the CSA of the line conductor so is the value you are using as the basis for the selection of the CPC.

None of my wholesalers stock 2core SWA. Seems to suggest the lack of understanding of the use of armour as cpc is widespread...I got funny looks asking for 2 core, turned into a sheep and use 3 core with sleeving!

Reply to Can I use the sheath of the SWA as the CPC in this example? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock