Discuss Can my step-up/down transformer be repaired? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks a million everyone, this is all really good. Though I'm afraid I'm a total novice so had some trouble understanding some of the more complex advice...

I think the wiring in the house definitely needs to be looked at, but this is an "as is" rental so that rules that out.

In terms of appliances, in fact the transformer alone -- without any appliances connected -- trips the circuit.
*Given that, any specific ideas about what I could do, if anything, to protect a new (cheap) transformer?*

Planning on getting a UK "3kVA" one of the same type.

When the appliances are plugged in, generally what I have is a high-end coffee maker that is heating and in use for a total of about 10 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day. I have quite a few other appliances I use with it occasionally but the coffee maker is the only consistent one and is basically the reason I bought the transformer in the first place.

HI - I have a partially similar issue and would appreciate any guidance.

I bought a 3000 watt step down transformer which a friend brought over to me in Israel. My place has updated modern wiring and can handle plenty of power.
The first time I used it - it worked fine.
The second time I used it, just by plugging it into the socket, it blew all the power in my apartment. I changed sockets and it did it again

ELC T3000 brand.

Any ideas if it fixable or is just now a heavy paperweight?

Thanks Eric

It might just be tripping on inrush, and not actually faulty. As above we need to know the exact spec of the breaker that is tripping.

Reply to Can my step-up/down transformer be repaired? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net