Discuss Can one speed up a slow stair-lift. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

CJBOLTER

DIY
Reaction score
I installed an Acorn stairlift for my wife. It is very good and takes a "double-back route due to the stairs being "Z format".

The thing is so slow that she is reluctant to use it through frustration, and we are in danger of her becoming isolated upstairs !!.

Can one speed the thing up ??. How does one do that ??.

Any help would be very much appreciated, and quite urgent. Funds are readily available !!.

vbr ChrisA.

I installed an Acorn stairlift for my wife. It is very good and takes a "double-back route due to the stairs being "Z format".

The thing is so slow that she is reluctant to use it through frustration, and we are in danger of her becoming isolated upstairs !!.

Can one speed the thing up ??. How does one do that ??.

Any help would be very much appreciated, and quite urgent. Funds are readily available !!.

vbr ChrisA.

As above, ask Acorn, there may be some risk reason why it is the speed that it is.
Also tampering with the lift will invalidate your warranty.

Has the O.P installed this lift themselves or has someone else?
Has it been programmed?
Google brings up a few suggestions why it might be slow.
Does it slow down at the bends or is it the same speed throughout?

This is from their web site, regarding the speed:
A stairlift's speed is quite slow, traveling up to a maximum rated speed of 0.15 meters per second (0.34 mph) this ensures a safe, comfortable ride.

There is no one available on their Live Chat, so I can't ask them if the speed can be increased.

Best for you to contact them.

I suppose you could install a slide for coming down? but I think she's going to have to bite the bullet and try to be patient going up.
Acorn are your contact, as above.
Sorry for joking.....but this might make you smile, too.

And get that multi plug folks.

Last edited:
I am not too familiar with stairlifts, but I do work with moving and handling equipment.
Unless you are prepared to alter the gearing from manufacturer's specifications (and accept the responsibility for so doing) there is not a lot can be done.
Generally they are 24v DC motors, so possibly you could replace with another of a faster rpm, but this could/would put greater stresses on the rest of the unit with the great risk of premature failure of other (safety critical) components.

I know someone (now retired) who has worked on these. As he happened to phone me from his holiday caravan in Scotland, gloating away with malt whiskey in hand, I asked what he remembered about them. According to him they have 3 speeds: creep, bend, and full. (slow, medium and full speed)
They need programming when to use each and the installer would have done this. If when approaching a stop (at top or bottom) it slows down, it is already running at full speed. As already mentioned, if it slows down for bends, that is a further indication it's running at full speed.
Two other things can reduce speed - there's an overspeed safety device which keeps it in creep mode if it detects it moving too fast, and needs resetting. (Unlikely as it slows down for bends)
Also power supply / battery charging problems can slow it down (unlikely if it's new).
Basic advice is to speak to the installer, but from the sound if it he says it's most likely operating at full speed already which is 5 inches / second.
So sorry to say that it doesn't sound like there's a manufacturer approved solution.

Reply to Can one speed up a slow stair-lift. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock