Discuss Can someone just clarify this please, in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I went to where my mum works today to sort out an intermittent tripping RCD, whilst there....

Background Information
4 floor grade 2 listed building comprising of basement which houses kitchen, store room and lounge type room.
1st, 2nd and 3rd floor are all meeting / treatment rooms.

Only exits via doors are on ground floor and basement.

This is a commercial premises, lone workers often on top floor doing treatments etc, it's a psychiatric practise, and the windows are all single glazed so have perpex screwed over frame, so no way to break glass. Oh and all doors are locked, not emergency exits.

Ok, so whils there, I notice the following...

there's no smoke detectors in the basement where the kitchen is.
Ground floor has an interlinked Aico base, no alarm
1st floor has an Aico interlinked alarm, expiry date April 2012
2nd floor has yet another base, but no detector

Ok so I'm thinking this is not ideal, fire could break out in the basement, very easily burn own the wooden stair case to 1st floor from ground, then people are then trapped upstairs with no way out and unable to break a window to shout for help due to Perspex.

Ok, so first I think, I should tell then, or do a quote to replace the interlinked ones with new ones so that theres something there which is better than nothing...

But then I think to myself, am I opening a can or worms, as I would potentially be fitting a domestic type smoke alarm system into a property here if my memory serves me correct from the FIA course I did, being commercial and over 3 floors, does it not need a proper fire alarm system with panel etc?

I feel I'm kind of making myself open to being done for fitting an inadequate non suitable alarm in a building, then in the event someone dies or there's a fire, I get in big trouble.

Am I thinking along the right lines here? I'm kind of doing the right thing by not replacing the dead bases with new ones and advising they have a proper system? I would imagine their insurance is probably invalid due to this?

You can tell them, but it's no guarantee you'll be offered the work!! Only quote for a full system that complies to the buildings requirement and nothing less!! That's if you feel competent to design, install and test commission such a FA system....

No I'm not going to quote as I have no idea what im doing with FA systems, but the limited knowledge I have got tells me this is not right.

Do you feel what I've said is right, I would be leaving myself wide open should one thing happen.

well as always...has a risk assessment been done...? Next its a commercial building, so floor levels are not an issue here, thats part 6 Grade A. Commercial equals full fire alarm system, Part 1. Lack of planned escape, seems to be a serious issue here, all doors must be able to be opened in the event of a fire, either electrically or mechanically ie maglock or pushbar. This is just another prime example of not complying with the H&S. All commercial premises must by law conduct fire a risk assessment

Reply to Can someone just clarify this please, in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net