Discuss can someone please advise on this type of light? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey electricians forum,

my grandparents are knocking on 90 and the main light in their living room has packed up... by packed up i mean that when they switch on the light it does nothing but fire up (try to light but keeps flashing and never catches... you know what i mean right every grandma's house will flicker a few times and then dazzle a brilliant light?!)
any way, i don't want them to sit in candle light and I have no idea if they stop make these types of bulbs... please could someone help me diagnose?

Attachments

• can someone please advise on this type of light? 20191117_144914 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191117_144914.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 82
Gonna need some more detail I'm affraid.

Is there no markings on the existing bulb? Or the fitting?

To be fair a new fitting would be easier once you factor in your time and effort.

It's a G10q fluorescent tube and they are still available. The ends looks pretty blackened so a new tube and starter while you are at it may well resolve it. Make sure of it's diameter before you get a new one

The three clips which hold it in place should be sprung loaded, the one at the plastic insert on the tube has the electrical contacts for the tube.
Quite unusual yours they normally have a glass dome which screws to a central thread by a nut.

Last edited:
replace with a LED fitting. more reliable and less running costs.

replace with a LED fitting. more reliable and less running costs.

Considering the age of those fittings I'd say it's already pretty reliable.

Why throw the whole thing away when it just needs a new lamp and starter?

I would agree about replacing it if it had failed completely but it hasn't.

My mother has two in her lounge and have only ever retubed and fitted new starters, been there since the 70s and they give a nice illumination.

Reply to can someone please advise on this type of light? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock