Discuss Can someone please clarify EICR rating of these downlights in terms of fire rating in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

Am continuously getting failed EICR'S sent over to quote on remedials for non fire rated downlights. These are lights in question. I see they have exposed conductors so would personally probably code 2 but what would code be for fire rating they are low voltage if that even makes a difference I don't think it does as my understanding of the fire rating it's the degree of protection of a fire from room below spreading into void above and potentially into other apartments.....any clarity appreciated.

Attachments

• Can someone please clarify EICR rating of these downlights in terms of fire rating IMG-20200917-WA0002 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG-20200917-WA0002.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Can someone please clarify EICR rating of these downlights in terms of fire rating IMG-20200917-WA0001 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG-20200917-WA0001.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Can someone please clarify EICR rating of these downlights in terms of fire rating IMG-20200917-WA0000 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG-20200917-WA0000.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 71
First of all. And this is a key point
Fire rated down lights are only required if a fire barrier has been punctured to enable the downlighting. In the vast majority of cases the ceiling is not a fire barrier.
the places you may find a fire barrier are theceiling of an integrated garage or the ceilings between separate apartments where the construction includes a fire barrier.

you’ll spot a fire rated ceiling because it’s made of pink plasterboard or a double thickness plasterboard.

Can’t see for sure but your photo doesn’t show that ceiling as a fire barrier . There’s a general urban myth that fire rated down lights are necessary where there’s a bedroom above a kitchen- that’s tosh.
The only thing I can see wrong in your pic is cable sheath not entering the enclosure. C3.

First of all. And this is a key point
Fire rated down lights are only required if a fire barrier has been punctured to enable the downlighting. In the vast majority of cases the ceiling is not a fire barrier.
the places you may find a fire barrier are theceiling of an integrated garage or the ceilings between separate apartments where the construction includes a fire barrier.

you’ll spot a fire rated ceiling because it’s made of pink plasterboard or a double thickness plasterboard.

Can’t see for sure but your photo doesn’t show that ceiling as a fire barrier . There’s a general urban myth that fire rated down lights are necessary where there’s a bedroom above a kitchen- that’s tosh.
The only thing I can see wrong in your pic is cable sheath not entering the enclosure. C3.

Thanks Taylor on clarifying on whether the the lights are actually fitted into an actual fire rated ceiling. This actual property is a block of apartments that is a converted warehouse. There is no sign of the lights being extra close to wooden joists but hard to make out if above the actual lights apartments above are separated by wooden flooring. Would this influence your decision on whether the lights should be changed for fire rated ones? Thanks

The point of fire rated down lights is to limit the passage of a fire in a lower floor to the floor above. They are not to allow the download Light to be positioned closer to joists etc or flooring above.
It is the ceiling which is, or isn’t a fire barrier.

I would check the void, if it looks like there is fire board there, in good condition. Its a pass. If not and there is a living space above C2 all day. I pass them if there in a loft or flat roof only.

I would check the void, if it looks like there is fire board there, in good condition. Its a pass. If not and there is a living space above C2 all day. I pass them if there in a loft or flat roof only.
Thanks Kellogs it's pretty much how I'm approaching things now

We debated this many times. You have to ask the reason why plasterboard is used. One of the reasons, is to make walls & ceiling’s look nice.

If you decided on a rustic look for your living room and new extension, by exposing your joists and not installing a plasterboard ceiling and leaving the structural elements of the property exposed, I think you would face a hard time getting that passed a Building Control Inspector.

Likewise, if you make a hole in a plasterboard ceiling for services, Building Regs require you to reinstate to its previous condition. You cant leave something worse than it previously was.

Plasterboard also helps in compliance with other Building Regs, not just fire.

Theres a Best Practice Guide from ESF, on this subject, which I haven’t to hand at the mo. Whilst if I recall it doesn’t advise against these old type down lights, it does give some guidance on the matter. I’ll try and find it, when I have time.

We debated this many times. You have to ask the reason why plasterboard is used. One of the reasons, is to make walls & ceiling’s look nice.

If you decided on a rustic look for your living room and new extension, by exposing your joists and not installing a plasterboard ceiling and leaving the structural elements of the property exposed, I think you would face a hard time getting that passed a Building Control Inspector.

Likewise, if you make a hole in a plasterboard ceiling for services, Building Regs require you to reinstate to its previous condition. You cant leave something worse than it previously was.

Plasterboard also helps in compliance with other Building Regs, not just fire.

Theres a Best Practice Guide from ESF, on this subject, which I haven’t to hand at the mo. Whilst if I recall it doesn’t advise against these old type down lights, it does give some guidance on the matter. I’ll try and find it, when I have time.
Thanks Midwest that would be appreciated

There‘s a link to their BPG 5.
Thanks Midwest that's an interesting read and hits home quite abit around the safety of incorrect/incorrectly fitted downlights

It might just be me, but single insulated live conductors should not be exposed and are potentially dangerous. And the flex likely won’t be properly strain relieved as well. So C2 from me.

I have never trained as a fire preventative officer, and I don't see that are part of my remit when doing an EICR, I may put it in notes, but if the lights were removed and the originally ceiling rose fitted and holes left in ceiling would it fail an EICR, no it would not, so simply nothing to do with an EICR.

If there is a fire prevention report which picks them up then yes OK.

I have never trained as a fire preventative officer, and I don't see that are part of my remit when doing an EICR, I may put it in notes, but if the lights were removed and the originally ceiling rose fitted and holes left in ceiling would it fail an EICR, no it would not, so simply nothing to do with an EICR.

Eric, your first sentence is a little worrying. You don't see fire prevention as part of your remit when doing an EICR?
In the schedule of Inspections of the EICR form, point 5.13 specifically relates to 'selection and erection of wiring systems to minimize the spread of fire'. See section 527 BS7671.

C3 for the xposed basic insulation.as regards the fire rating, all depends on whether the ceiling is a fire barrier or not.

If a tradesman or professional strays out of there remit it can cause all sorts of problems, I had a house buyers report on my house before buying which detailed what had been found on the electrical system.

It said the consumer unit had been up-dated and the old fuse box had been left in place above the ceiling, this was incorrect, the old fuse box was still active, with a hole in the plaster board just big enough to get your hand in to change a fuse.

OK as an electrician I was not worried, but it would be easy for a home buyer to think that home buyers report included an electrical installation condition report as they had reported on the electrical installation condition.

I as an electrician am not qualified to comment on fire prevention, yes I can raise concerns like anyone else that a fire door has been replaced with a not fire resisting door, or there is a whole in the ceiling which also will not resist fire, but plain fact remains if a ceiling rose had replaced the down lights and the down light holes not filled, it would be more dangerous than having down lights in the holes, but would not attract any coding with the EICR, so why should it get a code when less dangerous?

But as an electrician, you should be conversant with Building Regulations, and how electrical installation can have an impact on the regs, and visa versa. This includes fire safety.

If a tradesman or professional strays out of there remit it can cause all sorts of problems, I had a house buyers report on my house before buying which detailed what had been found on the electrical system.

It said the consumer unit had been up-dated and the old fuse box had been left in place above the ceiling, this was incorrect, the old fuse box was still active, with a hole in the plaster board just big enough to get your hand in to change a fuse.

OK as an electrician I was not worried, but it would be easy for a home buyer to think that home buyers report included an electrical installation condition report as they had reported on the electrical installation condition.

I as an electrician am not qualified to comment on fire prevention, yes I can raise concerns like anyone else that a fire door has been replaced with a not fire resisting door, or there is a whole in the ceiling which also will not resist fire, but plain fact remains if a ceiling rose had replaced the down lights and the down light holes not filled, it would be more dangerous than having down lights in the holes, but would not attract any coding with the EICR, so why should it get a code when less dangerous?
We do have a responsibility to make sure we do not aid in the spread of a fire, point 5.13 on the schedule of inspections on the EICR and the entire section 527 of BS7671. What do you make of that section of BS7671 Eric? Genuine question, do you just not think it applies? if so, why not?

Reply to Can someone please clarify EICR rating of these downlights in terms of fire rating in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock