Discuss Can someone please tell me what sort of unit this image is. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

That looks like an RCD equipped fused connection unit. This gives protection against earth faults where the circuit itself doesn't already have such protection.

The test button should operated every so often to prove the unit is working. See sticker above.

As DPG has said its an RCD fused spur.

The RCD trips if it detects the types of faults which could be a person receiving an electric shock. This doesn't mean it only trips when a person receives a shock, other things will cause the same current flow that causes the RCD to trip such as dampness or damage to a cable.

The two buttons are test and reset, usually marked T and R.
The test button is used to test that the tripping mechanism is working, this causes the RCD to trip and switch off the power going out of the unit.
The reset button will reset the trip (switch the output back on) after it has operated either due to the test button or a real fault.

As per the label which is falling off these should be tested using the test button every 6 months (the label may say 3 months as this only changed to 6 months recently)

I'm actually an oil appliance engineer by trade and often found on the plumbers forum, so I know how much feedback is appreciated. My thoughts were it was a unit mentioned above but wasn't 100%

Reply to Can someone please tell me what sort of unit this image is. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, my condenser boiler central heating has started to do strange things so I set about trying to diagnose the problem. When I got to the...
Replies
Views
Good morning everyone. I bought some property in northern Michigan and this is on it. Not an electrician, just want to know what it is. I figured...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, Last year arranged for my mother's and my consumer units to be changed by the same electrician who is NICEIC registered. Both jobs...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, hope you all had a good xmas. Got called around to change over an old style pin type thermostat to a hive one for a family member...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Looking for someone to help with this dilemma. Image attached to try and explain it better. We have 3 separate lights currently...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock