Discuss Can someone suggest what wire to use to make an LED outside dandelion light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, Thanks for reading. I want to make an improved version of the small solar powered dandelion lights you can purchase as I feel these are too small, and won't work very well in the UK winter months when its not very bright in the daytime.

However, I'm stuck on deciding what type of wire to use. It needs to be 'mouldable' in order to shape the finished item into a dandelion, so flexible, but have ability to stay reasonably straight to support its own weight. I think a small single core twisted pair wire would probably fit the bill and I've looked a lot online but it is difficult to assess these type of properties on a PC. Does anyone have any suggestions from their personal experience please?

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look at that. I had thought about this but haven't used this type of wire and was a little concerned about how the insulation coating would hold up to this type of use.

Sorry, I was thinking you just needed something to make the shape. Don't use the bare copper wire if it is to carry the supply to the LEDs.

Presume you are making it 12V or similar?

If this wire has to carry very low voltage (e.g. 12V or less) power, then perhaps enamelled copper wire, available in lots of sizes from quite thin to quite thick. You can also get bifilar copper wire, which is typically two enamelled copper wires running in parallel - joined but insulated from each other - typically with different colour enamel on each, though I'm not sure what sizes this comes in (I have only seen quite thin bifilar, for winding transformers etc).

Sorry, I was thinking you just needed something to make the shape. Don't use the bare copper wire if it is to carry the supply to the LEDs.

Presume you are making it 12V or similar?
Yep, It’ll be 12v or less. I’ll try the insulated solid 0.8 and see how it holds its shape. Many Thanks.

Reply to Can someone suggest what wire to use to make an LED outside dandelion light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net