Discuss Can someone work this out for me in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi sorry to bother you guys. I am stuck on this question hope you can help

Question

A 3KW,230V storage heater is supplied by 15m of multi-core 70 degrees PVC cable clipped direct to the wall. Protection is BS EN 60898 type C circuit breaker. Ambient temp is 30 degrees.
determine the
1 Load Current
2 CB Rating
3 cable rating
4 cable size
5 allowed voltage drop
6 Voltage Drop

Thank you in advance
Merry Christmas and happy new year

Last edited:
rudeboy, you are doing level 3 2330, right? If so then a calc like this should be a walk in the park for you. You will have done many such a calculation in level 2 let alone level 3. With respect mate, give it a try yourself. If you get stuck then post you calculations and we will look them over and spot where you might have gone wrong. To ask someone to so all the calcs for you will not really help you at the end of the day. So do some calcs, post each stage on here including what/where you looked things up in OSG or BRB.

rudeboy, you are doing level 3 2330, right? If so then a calc like this should be a walk in the park for you. You will have done many such a calculation in level 2 let alone level 3. With respect mate, give it a try yourself. If you get stuck then post you calculations and we will look them over and spot where you might have gone wrong. To ask someone to so all the calcs for you will not really help you at the end of the day. So do some calcs, post each stage on here including what/where you looked things up in OSG or BRB.

Incredible isn't it and on Xmas Eve,

Sorry kids can't be with you as someone on electricians forums can't work out a basic calculation and needs an answer right now

And the mods wonder why I keep getting infracted,

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to all:54::carolers:[/QUOTE]
Type C as well, must want to drink so juice on start up! well if its a purely resistive load (storage heater) then why a c type? As both voltage and current will be "in phase" with each other....I mean its not as if its an inductive is it.....a b type should stay in shouldnt it.....

merry christmas....

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your input.
The answers to your is i have only done this type of calculations a few times the Lecturers are really bad at teaching where I go college. I only do evening classes once a week. How much can you cover in 3hrs. I would request 1 more item from you guys has anyone got samples questions on this type of maths questions so I can work on them and understand them. I do find it hard to understand how to work out these types of questions ie where to look and which part of the question I do not have to calculate.
Thanks
Rudeboy500

Last edited:
Rudeboy500,

You can't get much clearer than the step by step approach that Lenny posted above!!

That's not to say, that others can't give you a series of sample questions for you to practice on. If i were you, i'd be telling the lecturers that your having trouble in this area, and if they could give you a little extra help. They should have in hand, a whole host of previous test paper questions of this nature, along with worked out examples to follow!!

Rudeboy500,

You can't get much clearer than the step by step approach that Lenny posted above!!

That's not to say, that others can't give you a series of sample questions for you to practice on. If i were you, i'd be telling the lecturers that your having trouble in this area, and if they could give you a little extra help. They should have in hand, a whole host of previous test paper questions of this nature, along with worked out examples to follow!!
if the standards are poor though at this college......then i think i might tell them that i expect more for my cash......how the hell is someone supposed to "join industry"...with little or no knowledge to back em up due to slack lecturing practices?...might as well go on one of those "6 week wonder" courses for all the use it will be.....i have been lucky as the college i have chosen for myself has a top notch set up but the varying standards to be found in some these institutions is worrying to say the least..hmm.....:whatchutalkingabout

if your enrolled on a college course you should be able to use the libary the lecturer should be able to recommend the tittles relavent to this subject,thats what happened to me but that was years ago so course tuition standards may have slipped ,the thing is ,is it bad tuition or lack of understanding (no offence)if so don't be affraid to ask more questions in class or after.its in the intrests of the lecturer to get passes as fails reflect on them.also its in your interests to get the training and understanding your paying for

Hi sorry to bother you guys. I am stuck on this question hope you can help

Question

A 3KW,230V storage heater is supplied by 15m of multi-core 70 degrees PVC cable clipped direct to the wall. Protection is BS EN 60898 type C circuit breaker. Ambient temp is 30 degrees.
determine the
1 Load Current
2 CB Rating
3 cable rating
4 cable size
5 allowed voltage drop
6 Voltage Drop

Thank you in advance
Merry Christmas and happy new year

Can't believe I'm on here Xmas day but as its Xmas a few pointers

Break the question into its parts, first is ohms law with 3kw and 230v which gives you ( insert answer)

Next you have your ampage from part 1 so work out what size cable from the table in the OSG/Regs would be sufficient for your needs taking into account your erection method (also in the regs)

The rest should become clear, hopefully

I may have got this all wrong but I've had too much food and drink and I'm writing this on my phone

No Tony: Not a grumpy old git mate, just straight. Gotta be honest when I first read the post it put my back up with the way the title came across: Can someone work this out for me, Not can anyone tell me where i'm going wrong or can someone give me some pointers on working this out. I don't mind helping anyone if they're stuck, we all need help & advice at times. But i'm damned if i'll do someones homework for them, when they get out on site we wont be there to hold their hands.

OP: As has already been said, if there's something you don't understand or you feel the Lecturer is not explaining properly then it's down to you to do something about it before you get in too deep. But these are pretty basic calculations.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's the whole education system is to blame. we did calcs like this for "0" levels, now lads in school are taught cooking, and other useless subjects, so are ill prepared for the college work.

I know what you mean tel, but he's apparently doing the 2330 level 3 so you would have hoped this would'nt be the 1st time he'd come across this calc. You forgot Needlework by the way lol.

Wouldn't say cooking useless basic needs may be I'm 40 i did cooking has been more use than learning about crop rotation in the 16 century and the new waste of time media studies etc saying that I'm getting pretty fed up of cheese on toast and Christmas log LOL

evedrything you buy has cooking instructions anyway. don't take a genius to work out the difference between microwave from chilled and same from frozen. anything more ambitious, that's why we get married, innit?

i supose so ,but your knackered if she cant cook lol
love how these threads start off about something to do with electrics then end up about cooking! love it

Reply to Can someone work this out for me in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock