Discuss can steel wool start an electrical fire? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RenegadeBum

Hi,

I've just mouse-proofed a victorian house internally, using steel wool to seal all possible gaps throughout the house.

However I've been advised this can be dangerous as any exposed electrical terminals can ignite steel wool and start it burning. I've tested this myself (9 volt battery and some steel wool in the garden!) and it does create only a very mild and short-lived spark, despite all of the available oxygen outdoors.

However a 240 volt terminal combined with accidental prolonged contact inside the house is what worries me, should I be concerned? Steel wool to seal holes from mice seems such standard practice in the UK!

Thanks!

View attachment 35725

View attachment 35726

Yes, you can start a fire with steel wool by applying an electric current to it. I have done it, deliberately to test possible uses for pyrotechnics when I was involved in amateur dramatics many moons ago.

Should you be concerned? I don't know, I wouldn't do it personally but having re-read your post and seeing the comment about it being standard practice in the UK, I went digging and it is the advice given by Rentokil. My choice would probably have been mix up some mortar and fill the holes properly if they are in brickwork, it's a fairly pointless exercise filling holes in wood as if they want to get through they'll chew their way through.

Try holding a bit of the very fine stuff over a gas flame and you may be surprised. If some of that did get across wiring, the power may provide enough energy to cause trouble. If air circulation still required, this stuff is on a well known internet auction site :

View attachment 35727

Try holding a bit of the very fine stuff over a gas flame and you may be surprised. If some of that did get across wiring, the power may provide enough energy to cause trouble. If air circulation still required, this stuff is on a well known internet auction site :

View attachment 35727
that looks good.is it strong enough to restrain our pet forum godzilla gorilla?

Thanks all for your replies. I presume it would have to come into contact with wiring that didn't have any insulating protection to cause trouble - is this likely in a typical victorian property with the usual wiring set up, nothing fancy? New fuseboard with RCD but not particularly new wiring

This is the most unusual opening line of any post I've seen on here: "I've just mouse-proofed a victorian house"

'The early bird catches the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese'
Crackin' phrase that - almost as good as ;
'hard work pays off later, laziness pays off now'.

Thanks all for your replies. I presume it would have to come into contact with wiring that didn't have any insulating protection to cause trouble

Yes - that's right. I have often found cable joints left un-enclosed in ceiling spaces (not a good thing) and I've seen rats grab and move things about. If they happened to move some steel wool to an open junction, then there could be trouble.

Wouldn't that fine steel wool turn into a puddle of rust fairly quickly in our marvellous British weather?

Steel wool is highly conductive, if it came into contact with any electrical wiring fire wouldn't be the only safety issue.

I'd suggest remove it pronto and find an alternative way.

Whenever I've watched the Mitie pest proofing guys they've usually used expanding foam then pushed the wire wool into it as its expanding then give it another blast over the top so its buried in the foam. Apparently they just chew straight through the foam otherwise

All you have to do is nail little planks of wood over the mouse holes in the skirting board. I seen it. On Tom n Jerry.
if you use a nail gun you might even spear a mouse.

.....I presume it would have to come into contact with wiring that didn't have any insulating protection to cause trouble - is this likely in a typical victorian property ......
Only if there's a mouse problem. Mice more often than not will damage or strip the sheath and insulation from cables and wires.

Reply to can steel wool start an electrical fire? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net