Discuss Can use wiring meant for switch for power socket? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeCee

DIY
Reaction score
There are 2 unused wiring I would like to make use to fix-up power sockets. One box has Live, Neutral and Earth. The other box has only brown wires. One of the box is labelled S3. I presume its for lighting (correct me if I am wrong). Don't know what the wires (brown) in the next box are for. These two boxes are high and along the corridor leading to my bedroom. Ideal spot for my Zigbee hub.

Possible to fix-up a power socket? What is the box with just the brown wires for?
Please help me out here. Thanks.

Attachments

• Can use wiring meant for switch for power socket? IMG_3980 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_3980.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 35
  • Can use wiring meant for switch for power socket? IMG_3979 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_3979.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Can use wiring meant for switch for power socket? IMG_3978 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_3978.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 39
It looks like you are not in the UK (lucky person).
First thing to say is you must not presume anything when it comes to electrical safety!

However 'I presume' this is your property, or are you a tenant?
Does your Zigbee hub have a power brick type plug, and if so what sort of socket is required for it?
In the UK it's not allowed to fit a 13A socket on a lighting circuit (assuming that's what it is?)

Do you have a multimeter, know how to use it, and are you competent to make domestic electrical connections?
If all the above are true, there is probably a solution for you.

It looks like you are not in the UK (lucky person).
First thing to say is you must not presume anything when it comes to electrical safety!

However 'I presume' this is your property, or are you a tenant?
Does your Zigbee hub have a power brick type plug, and if so what sort of socket is required for it?
In the UK it's not allowed to fit a 13A socket on a lighting circuit (assuming that's what it is?)

Do you have a multimeter, know how to use it, and are you competent to make domestic electrical connections?
If all the above are true, there is probably a solution for you.
Hi Avo,

Thank you for the response.

I am in Singapore (not sure about the "lucky person" bit) and it's my property.
The Zigbee hub is power by a USB phone power brick like the one in the photo. Using my old iphone charger head plugged into my 220V wall socket in my room now. Works fine but I figure the location can be better. Therefore, trying to understand the wiring in the corridor leading to my rooms (which will be more of a central location for the hub).

About the multimeter - am planning to get one soon. (any recommendations?). Using it shouldn't be difficult, I think.
Competency - I am reading up and watching youtube videos on how to swap out regular switches and plugs with smart ones. Done 2 and am quite happy with my performance. Want to equip myself with more knowledge before more work in the way of smart home stuff.

I appreciate the safety bit when it's about electrical stuff and that's exactly why I looking for expert advise.

Attachments

• Can use wiring meant for switch for power socket? iphone power brick - EletriciansForums.net
    iphone power brick.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 23
The first part sounds complicated. I don't think I follow you.
The second part - will something like in the my photo do it?

Attachments

• Can use wiring meant for switch for power socket? Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 21.46.05 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 21.46.05.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Can use wiring meant for switch for power socket? Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 21.46.32 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 21.46.32.png
    270.1 KB · Views: 13
Any idea what these live wires are for in the enclosure?

Attachments

• Can use wiring meant for switch for power socket? IMG_3979 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_3979.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 15
@VeeCee I have removed some posts from this thread due to inappropriate advice. From a distance we have absolutely no idea what those wires are doing so I suggest for your own safety you seek the services of an electrician.
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can use wiring meant for switch for power socket? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock