Discuss Can we get an Official answer on this,,Inspection,Testing and Certification and 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Barneyb57

Can we get a firm answer and decision on this beacause as I read through this forum I become more and more confused,,,on all the courses I have just done which includes Part P and 2391 Inspection,Test and Certification,,,we were told that you must be registered with one of the schemes to sign off work your own or other peoples and issue a Certificate,,,,,The rules say you must be a competent Person??? So what is the real and actual take on this,,,,because I see quite a few people on here who reckon YOU DO NOT need to be registered with NICEIC, NAPIT or ECA etc, etc, to sign off work and issue a Certificate, AND IS THE 2391 A DEFINATE MUST HAVE???
Can we have an Official ANSWER on this.........Thank you............Signed Confused.com

Re: Can we get an Official answer on this,,Inspection,Testing and Certification and

Can we have an Official ANSWER on this.........

Of course not.

The EAS have released an extended deadline for April next year for the new requirements to be in place, but even then there is no one body that can dictate the way the industry is going to progress.

Re: Can we get an Official answer on this,,Inspection,Testing and Certification and

This is my take on the "requirements"
Action
Legal requirement
Some Companies / councils /insurance internal requirement
Self certification scheme requirement
C&G Qualifications that may help demonstrate competence
Complete EIC or MEIWC
Competence
NICEIC (or other scheme maybe) membership
Not applicable
2392 (2394)
Complete EICR
Competence
PIR Scheme membership (not Part P)
PIR membership (not part P) to use their forms. Pay fee.
2391 (2394/2395)
Undertake electrical work notfiiable to LABC under the building regulations
Competence:
Tell LABC in advance. Pay fee. LABC issue building regulations completion certificate
Self certification scheme membership.
2382 qualification 2391 also preferred. Pass assessment. Pay fee.
Scheme issues building regulations compliance certificate.
2382, 2392, 2391(2394,2395)

Can we get a firm answer and decision on this beacause as I read through this forum I become more and more confused,,,on all the courses I have just done which includes Part P and 2391 Inspection,Test and Certification,,,we were told that you must be registered with one of the schemes to sign off work your own or other peoples and issue a Certificate,,,,,The rules say you must be a competent Person??? So what is the real and actual take on this,,,,because I see quite a few people on here who reckon YOU DO NOT need to be registered with NICEIC, NAPIT or ECA etc, etc, to sign off work and issue a Certificate, AND IS THE 2391 A DEFINATE MUST HAVE???
Can we have an Official ANSWER on this.........Thank you............Signed Confused.com

Do you know what Part P is?
It is a building regulation, not a qualification of any sort.

All work you carry out, be it a minor modification or a new installation should be tested and certified with the relevant certificate.

Depending whether or not the domestic work carried out falls under the scope of Notify-able work, the local building control may or may not need to be informed.

Industrial/Commercial work does not fall under Part P unless lets say there is a flat above that shares the same consumer unit.

All of the above could be found out if you did bother to search, or read other posts thoroughly.

All notifiable work must be informed to LABC!
This can be done one of 2 ways: directly to LABC or through a scheme - Part P

You must be competent but how can you prove what competent it? - some say know what your doing - some say do a course - all correct

End of the day if you know what your doing and it is safe then your fine
If you do notifiable work you must notify LABC

Read this:
Planning Portal - Part P (Electrical Safety)

should answer all questions!

Do you know what Part P is?
It is a building regulation, not a qualification of any sort.

All work you carry out, be it a minor modification or a new installation should be tested and certified with the relevant certificate.

Depending whether or not the domestic work carried out falls under the scope of Notify-able work, the local building control may or may not need to be informed.

Industrial/Commercial work does not fall under Part P unless lets say there is a flat above that shares the same consumer unit.

All of the above could be found out if you did bother to search, or read other posts thoroughly.

Firstly yes I do know what PART P is I am Part P Competent/Compliant call it what you will,,,If I bothered to search as you put it,or read other posts,,I'm sure I would be here all week and still not come up with AN OFFICIAL ANSWER and one that everybody understands and or abides by,,,There are from what I can see (and read on here) a vast amount of differing interpretations,and opinions, hence my question!!

Here is the official Electricians forum answer to the ultimate question of life.the universe and everything

The official answer is

Firstly yes I do know what PART P is I am Part P Competent/Compliant call it what you will,,,If I bothered to search as you put it,or read other posts,,I'm sure I would be here all week and still not come up with AN OFFICIAL ANSWER and one that everybody understands and or abides by,,,There are from what I can see (and read on here) a vast amount of differing interpretations,and opinions, hence my question!!

How are you Part P competent/compliant? Are you registered with a scheme?

How do you know that you will not find and official answer, if you are not prepared to look?

What makes you think you will get an official answer from this forum, based on your assumption that there is not one already?
Could you believe an answer given by someone on this forum "to be official" without following it up with your local council/building control department?

Why don't you phone your local council/building control department and get your official answer?

Nah you get a better Coverage of answers by asking twice and in different places,,,,not everyone reads every thread,,I dont thats for sure....

I posted that link has he asked exactly the same question on there too.

There are two types of 'signing off', and issuing Certificates.
Any electrician, should be competent enough to 'sign off' and issue a Certificate, either an EIC or MEWIC, as per the requirements of BS7671.
The Building Regulations (Part P), require that notifiable work, be signed off and a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate issued.
A Building Regulations Compliance Certificate can only be issued by Building Control, or an electrician/kitchenfitter/plumber who is registered with a Competent Persons scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:

How are you Part P competent/compliant? Are you registered with a scheme?

How do you know that you will not find and official answer, if you are not prepared to look?

What makes you think you will get an official answer from this forum, based on your assumption that there is not one already?
Could you believe an answer given by someone on this forum "to be official" without following it up with your local council/building control department?

Why don't you phone your local council/building control department and get your official answer?

I think you need an attitude pill mate....However you have in part answered part of the question,,,which was in part....The rules say that you have to be competent....you replied quote...How are you Part P competent/compliant? Are you registered with a scheme?....Unquote...which is in part the reason I asked the question...Who says you/me/anyone is competent?? Any one can say they are competent,, but who decides that you are, and what proof do you/me anyone have to provide to endorse that and for it to be official??? as I interpret it that can only be done by having your work, test equipment and qualifications inspected and vetted by one of the registered Schemes,,,yes a money make I know....but a very real question I think,, and one that needs an official and decisive answer......No need for anyone to go off half cocked or to get shirty about,,,,,it's a question thats all,,,,and it's not all about Part P.
I'm talking 2391 inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations, which might not be your own work,,might be the work of others aswell....or in the case that you are employed to go and test and inspect the Electrical Installation of lets say a small or large Factory Unit or an Office Block, and issue a certificate. Simple Question do you or dont you need to be registered to do that,,,,There are some people who make a living out of Testing and Inspecting only, and dont do installations as in on the tools anymore,,,how do they stand do they have to be registered or not...simple as that...

Last edited by a moderator:

don't think he needs a pill,its been made very clear.

don't think he needs a pill,its been made very clear.

Well no it hasnt been made very clear,, thats the whole point....anyway dont bother yourselves with it,,,seems most are missing the point..

In what way have you deemed yourself "Part P Competent/Compliant"?

The simple answer is no, you don't need to be a scheme member, you could notify every notifiable job directly to LABC.
Or you could do it without either, although then you wouldn't be complying with part P.

That isn't an "OFFICIAL" answer, and you won't get one from an internet forum however many times you ask for one. The most you'll get is a discussion.

Nothing like a bun fight (discussion)

Approved document P relates to Building control and domestic premises. Because this is legislation you will need to follow the rules created by the Building control regulations. Approved document P is given for guidance.

You don't need any particular qualification to do PIRs/EICRs. But you need to be competent and you do need PI insurance.

Now how your insurance company assesses your competence will be up to the insurance company.

It was a lot more simple when everybody had to achieve a 5 year apprenticeship and then show evidence of working in the industry before achieving a level of recognised competence.

If you're employed by a company and a sent to carry out an I&T on anything or any kind of install you would sign the certificate as the installer or tester. The cert would then be countersigned by your company's qualified supervisor.
If self employed you would sign off certificates covering the work you carry out. If this work falls under the notifiable category for domestic work you would either be a scheme member and notify via their system or you would pay a fee to LABC who would/should carry out a first fix inspection then issue a completion cert after receiving your cert and SOTR etc.
Hope this answers mate.

Reply to Can we get an Official answer on this,,Inspection,Testing and Certification and 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net