Discuss CAN YOU IDENTIFY THIS? ARMOURED CABLE UNDER ROAD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Brunel

-
DIY
Reaction score
Exposed by recent gas mains replacement, Also exposed were the old tram lines. The cable looks all armour and no conductors?
Could it possibly be an part of an "earthing system" for the tram tracks/lines?

UNDERGROUND CABLE.jpg

UNDERGROUND CABLE-2.jpg

That’s Bob, he just likes lying around being grumpy.

Happy to help.

I'm thinking an MV single core belted cable. Whatever it is you can be thankful it wasn't live when you 'exposed' it. Maybe one of the guys like @essex will recognise it if it's near a railway or tramway.

It does look like a track bond. It is certainly the size of one and only a single core so that is where I would put my money. Is there a station near by? Track bonds usually go back to the MET of a station or depot.

The cable looks all armour and no conductors?
I think it's all conductor and no armour. Single-core, paper insulated, lead sheathed and served. There may be armour (e.g. steel tape) further back that we can't see, as this end seems to have been made off to a joint.

Reply to CAN YOU IDENTIFY THIS? ARMOURED CABLE UNDER ROAD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi All, I'm new to Amtech/Trimble and I've been asked to review a model. I'm looking at circuits that are SWA cables using the armour and an...
Replies
Views
Evening everyone . Currently looking at pricing a job up . It’s a hot tub supply . Outside socket with a few spare ways in an outdoor cu . 10mm...
Replies
Views
FYI --- This is a U.S. installation. I'm replacing a three way switch (the UK might more sensibly call it a two way switch??) with a Kasa Smart...
Replies
Views
Hi I've got an new outbuilding that needs power run out to it, the building is very close to the house and the original plan was to run an...
Replies
Views
As the title says, I am looking for a recommendation for an enclosure and gland arrangement to electrically isolate or divorce the earth/armouring...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock