Discuss Can you use a 2 way switch in place of a 3 way? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jack

Hi everyone!
Need some help!
Wifey is gonna kill me otherwise!

I have a corridor L shape.

3 switches

The old switches had 1x 3 way and 2x 2 way switches.

I threw them all and in error bought 3x 2 way, i cannot find 3 way switches anywhere, so wondering is there a way of wiring a 2 way switch to make it 3 way?
thanks!!

Hi,

Thanks for your post.
Neither have 3 way switches :mad:
They are defo not common, i am yet to find anywhere.

Hi,

Thanks for your post.
Neither have 3 way switches :mad:
They are defo not common, i am yet to find anywhere.

sorry Jack, but do you know the difference between 'gang' and 'way'?

most people dont and i assumed you didnt, so you actually mean 3 way, not 3 gang?

if so, then why would you need a 3 way switch? cant for the life of me think of an application for it

give some more details and i could almost certainly adapt 2 or 3 gang 2 way switches to sort you out!

hi jack ,i think maybee you want an intermediate swich along with 2, 2 way switckes ,has one of the switches got 4 terminals,if so its an intermediate
all the best

hi jack ,i think maybee you want an intermediate swich along with 2, 2 way switckes ,has one of the switches got 4 terminals,if so its an intermediate
all the best

i hope you are right Rum, i've been kicking around this game for a few months now (i'm a paperboy by trade) and i've never seen a three way switch:p

still think this is confusion between the terms 'way' and 'gang' though.....:confused:

hi ,an intermediate switch (often called a 3 way switch) is used in conjunction with 2 two way switches ,it has 4 terminals and connects in the strappers ,you can have more than one intermediate s/w and is a method often used with L shaped corridors.(please dont confuse with american termanology ,as in the u.s the above would be a 4 way switch )
and for once shake im right ;)
atvbitwww
ive uploaded a diagram ,but it doesnt seem to want to display everytime ,heres the link Ultimate Handyman: three way light switching

Can you use a 2 way switch in place of a 3 way? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
agree with you Rum - but it still leaves the question unanswered - why cant he get a repalacement - intermdeiate switches are common and i have pointed him to a few suppliers.....:confused:

agree with you Rum - but it still leaves the question unanswered - why cant he get a repalacement - intermdeiate switches are common and i have pointed him to a few suppliers.....:confused:

Could be that he's having trouble sourcing an intermediate switch for the type of style/design of switch he has chosen.
Although I cant imagine any manufacturer bringing ou a 2way switch in a particular range and not doing an intermediate to match.:confused:

as rum mentioned. i also think its a intermediate switch he is on about.. i have the same in my house. a couple of years ago when decorating the wife picked some chrome switches for the hall way. most diy stores do not carry intermediate switches and had to order from electrical supplier.. in the end went back to plane white as the cost was 3 times the amount we paid for 2 way switch.

hehehe, hey chaps,

ok, it does seem theat i need intermediate switch from what you all say.

Its a L shaped corridor with 3 switches.
the wiring on the 3 switches are different.
2 of them have 3 wires, one has 4 wires.

I have been asking for 3 way switches and they are just saying no they dont stock them...

so, i will now go out and ask for intermediate... Thank you for all your help guys!

I will call the first 2 companys of this thread.

Will let you know updates.

Yep Agreed guys I am pretty certain he is looking for an Intermediate switchplate not a 3 or 4 way and probably a 1 Gang sw at that which would obviously create a 3 way circuit for the corridor.... Good luck ..

Reply to Can you use a 2 way switch in place of a 3 way? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock