Discuss Can you use a 20volt in place of a broken 18volt lithium-ion in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 18volt 1.5 lithium-ion cordless drill that I can no longer get parts for and the batteries are now dead, so I recently found a really reasonably priced brand new 2.0 lithium-ion with the same connections and polarity etc and although I have not attempted to put a 18volt charge into these 20volts or ran it, I examined the new one and it will definatley fit my drill and charger perfectly.
My question is : - Does anyone know if this will cause me any issues as far as charging and use apart from it running a little hotter and faster

many thanks in advance :)

batteries need a charge voltage slightlyhigher than their output voltage, typically around +10%. so unless your charger is capable of pushing out 22V+. then the 20V battery willnot charge. some chargers are "intelligent" and sense the battery voltage and output accordingly. case of try it and see. IMO.

batteries need a charge voltage slightlyhigher than their output voltage, typically around +10%. so unless your charger is capable of pushing out 22V+. then the 20V battery willnot charge. some chargers are "intelligent" and sense the battery voltage and output accordingly. case of try it and see. IMO.

Would this not be a case of a tool manufacturer marketing their product to appear more powerful, like makita with their 10.8V/12 Max platform? The lithium cells contained within these battery packs will have the same nominal voltage.

Would this not be a case of a tool manufacturer marketing their product to appear more powerful, like makita with their 10.8V/12 Max platform? The lithium cells contained within these battery packs will have the same nominal voltage.
yeh, probably right I've seen this many times now with other products ,never thought of that, thanks

This exactly.
DeWalt 18V range is marketed as DeWalt 20V range in the US. They're exactly the same electrically speaking.

like makita with their 10.8V/12 Max platform?

The same as Bosch, they have switched to 12v, but tell us everything is compatible.

A 10.8v battery has 3 lithium cells, 10.8 ÷ 3 = 3.6v, which is the nominal voltage for a lithium cell.

Charge up 3 cells to 4.0v, and, voila, 12v.

The maths work out perfectly for 18v to 20v also, because those batteries have 5 lithium cells in them.

I'm going to guess the OP is looking at an aftemarket battery (given that connection is identical) and that it's aimed at a different market where the battery is sold as a higher nominal voltage.

In this case I'd be more wary of the wild variation in aftermarket batteries, from fairly decent to downright dangerous.

Reply to Can you use a 20volt in place of a broken 18volt lithium-ion in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock