SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Cancelling customers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Over the few years ive been self employed ive been pretty lucky and never not been paid and only had the odd last minute cancellation.

This morning i turned up at a job thats been booked in for months. Fuseboard change, shower supply and a load of downlights throughout the house.

Customer opend the door and said "sorry we dont want the work done now" and then shut the door. Obviously i can return all my materials to wholesaler. But im 3 days money out of pocket. Do i have any rights to send him a bill? Or this just something else to put up with?
Thanks

T

The Ghost

Did you get a signed contract detailing work with 30% deposit??? Ah... thought not. Then you can only try to bill them for materials and labour so far and see which way the cat jumps. But little to enforce without contract methinks.

Paignton pete

-
Arms
Esteemed
Booked months before, but did you call a week before to confirm all was still on.

Fair enough they should have honoured the agreed works, but I always give a buzz a couple of days or a week before then I order materials.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, last week i was back there because he wanted to add the downlights to the job. So i was there quoteing that 8 days ago and he agreed to the price. I just dont see how its fair people can do that? Weve all got bills to pay.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
He has either found someone cheaper or...

I couldn't think of an or....
...the customer has been abducted and replaced by an alien, who knows that the past 30 years up CU upgrades have been a scam, just so that regs books can get sold and manufacturers get more money.
He has decided to go back to the old wired fuse type of CU....

There you go mate...

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
eah, last week i was back there because he wanted to add the downlights to the job. So i was there quoteing that 8 days ago and he agreed to the price. I just dont see how its fair people can do that? Weve all got bills to pay.
I dont play silly games any more with customers .e mail .good has a letter .

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Feel sorry for you blokes.... Looks like you need a 7 page T&C to stop these a-hole customers messing you about...

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
but I always give a buzz a couple of days
to go round a kick the door in ,and ask for the Money for wasting his f$$ing time .LOL.

Paignton pete

-
Arms
Esteemed
Feel sorry for you blokes.... Looks like you need a 7 page T&C to stop these a-hole customers messing you about...
Agree. At one point I had 2 pages of T&C's attached to each quote and it was growing until I thought this is getting ridiculous so I cut it down to 1 page.
I may in future put my T&C's on my web site and get customer to refer to that. It would save a fortune on ink.

S

Squid

When he phones you in a few weeks time grovelling to you as the other "sparks" has done a runner then either put the phone down or charge him double.

As mentioned always get a holding deposit refundable in certain circumstances that will be knocked off the bill once the work has been completed, honest customers won't mind.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
When he phones you in a few weeks time grovelling to you as the other "sparks" has done a runner then either put the phone down or charge him double.

As mentioned always get a holding deposit refundable in certain circumstances that will be knocked off the bill once the work has been completed, honest customers won't mind.
From the customers point of view: It's also hard to trust an electrician, that you don't know. They may disappear with the deposit.
I had to grovel to a mate on here, when I had problems. Poor lad had to travel a bit. It was nice to finally meet the bloke, so it was a win-win thing.

Yes life is too short to worry

You lost nothing as you say all materials can be returned to the supplier

I generally ask for a 15% deposit on bookings as it sorts the wheat from the chaff customers

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Wasn't there a thread on here where you guys posted up your T&C's so that you would help out others??
Might be a good idea to see if you can find this and maybe nick some stuff from it.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
It's not fair, but then generally life is not fair.
It seems that today's society it all about gaining money by screwing people over...
I think the world needs a Reset button...

S

Squid

From the customers point of view: It's also hard to trust an electrician, that you don't know. They may disappear with the deposit.
I had to grovel to a mate on here, when I had problems. Poor lad had to travel a bit. It was nice to finally meet the bloke, so it was a win-win thing.
I think you meant to say plumber............

S

Squid

It seems that today's society it all about gaining money by screwing people over...
I think the world needs a Reset button...
We already have one, it's the one to fire the nuclear weapons.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I think you meant to say plumber............
Any trade actually mate.
The TV is very good at making programs that show the cowboys of the trades. Get more viewers.

plugsandsparks

-
Arms
Esteemed
I have, in effect the same problem in the com /ind world. I may be booked in but the job cannot be done for whatever reason at the last minute. I have a list of Hospital jobs which i knock off whenever this happens, suggest forget it and the client, lol, move on

freddo

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Add them to that online database of bad customers!

baldelectrician

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Any job over £100 I always put in writing via email and take a third deposit via card or BACS when booking it in.
Customers get told they pay a deposit to book my time in the diary or the job does not get booked in

I have lost one job in 15 years through this

I also put in the cooling off period guff in the quote as per legal requirments

Reply to Cancelling customers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom