Discuss Canister lights from 1985, bulbs burn out WAY too early in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have some canister lights in our bathrooms where incandescent, CFL, and LED all burn out too quick. We used to have the problem with canisters in our living room but had them replaced many years ago and they seem good now. So I was thinking I might need to replace the canisters in the bathrooms also. Before I go to the trouble of replacing them, I wanted to get some opinions. Does it make sense to have bad canisters? What is even in there that can go bad and cause bulbs to burn out?

I have some canister lights in our bathrooms where incandescent, CFL, and LED all burn out too quick. We used to have the problem with canisters in our living room but had them replaced many years ago and they seem good now. So I was thinking I might need to replace the canisters in the bathrooms also. Before I go to the trouble of replacing them, I wanted to get some opinions. Does it make sense to have bad canisters? What is even in there that can go bad and cause bulbs to burn out?
Harry incandescent bulbs have a Filament in them and when they get a little age on them they will burn out quick. Not sure what a CFL is but older light fixtures usually don’t mix with LED bulbs. Canister lights has a small ballast in them. How many light fixtures do you have to be replaced ? If it was me I would just replace them.

if the canister lights have a closed back design ?
Then the lamps will run much hotter,
At when compared to an open back design
So my guess is these new lights are a closed back design with little or no ventilation
so your lamps run much hotter and suffer from short life span.

poor contacts between holder contacts and bulbs. caused by age and possible corrosion from water vapour (bathroom). 1 option would be IP rated integrated LED downlights

Reply to Canister lights from 1985, bulbs burn out WAY too early in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock