Discuss Cannot get electrical light switch to turn on commercial PL Downlights, Please help. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ashman3g

Hi,
We have just finished a building which contains 10 of Compact Flourescent 2 x 18w PL downlights with gear. When connecting a normal white rocker switch the lights operate fine, however when using the 2 gang electrical touch switch the lights do not seem to work. Any idea to why this is and how i can resolve this problem?

Here is the spec for the light switch:

[h=5]TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION:[/h]
  • [h=5]Rated Voltage: 220~240V AC, Frequency: 50/60Hz[/h]
  • [h=5]Capability allowance: -15%~+10% 187~264V[/h]
  • [h=5]Operating Power: 2 Gang (15-1500W),[/h]
  • [h=5]Working Environment: Working Temperature: 0[SUP]o[/SUP]C~40[SUP]o[/SUP]C Relative Humidity: 10% - 93%[/h]
  • [h=5]Energy Consumption: <0.02W[/h]
  • [h=5]Measurement: 86x86mm[/h]
  • [h=5]life: 100,000 times at least (relay useful life) Remote usage distance >20M[/h]
  • [h=5]Power: < 0.1mW[/h]
  • [h=5]CE & RoHS Certified[/h]
Many Thanks In Advance,
Ash

Re: Cannot get electrical light switch to turn on commercial PL Downlights, Please he

First port of call is to check everything is correctly terminated mate.
Sorry if that sounds patronising, that's not my intention

Re: Cannot get electrical light switch to turn on commercial PL Downlights, Please he

Is the switch designed to dim non filament lamps? whats the make/ model of the dimmer and fittings?

Hi,
The switch im using is not a dimmer.

Many Thanks.

Have you tried connecting an incandesant lamp to this switch?

Have you tried connecting an incandesant lamp to this switch?

Hi,
yes i have and the switch works great with it. The switch is definitely not faulty as i have bought a replacement and i still have the same issue.

Many Thanks.

Looks like you’ve got a compatibility problem then.
Either the fittings or the switch has to go.

Looks like you’ve got a compatibility problem then.
Either the fittings or the switch has to go.

Any way of using a relay or something to in between that will make it compatible?

Many Thanks.

the manufactrrers instructions will probably say " not to be used with fluorescent or discharge fittings. :001_9898:

You could do that, but you need a minimum loading on the switch of 7VA as I recall from the instructions. So becareful what you buy.

Is there something you would recommend or a particular spec relay i need to go for?
Not bought a relay in the past.

Many Thanks.

a relay itself is an inductive load, so you may need to fit a capacitor across the coil to cancel this out.

anything with a 240v coil and contacts rated higher than the load current.

any other suggestions i could do to get this working or is using a relay my only option?

Thanks.

Use Google to locate a suitable relay. There’s 1000’s to choose from, I’m not trawling through then for you.

I’m sorry but you took the job on without knowing what you were doing. It’s a commercial job so I would assume you have some experience of the trade.

Reply to Cannot get electrical light switch to turn on commercial PL Downlights, Please help. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net