Discuss Can't find Lighting Transformer in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just been on a "simple" job, changing 8 50w MR16 halogen downlights to (customer supplied) IKEA LED's (£3 each!).
Pulled out the 150W transformer that supplied the first set of 4 and changed these. The other transformer must be fixed into the ceiling void. I can't feel it and the void is full of rockwall insulation. Has anyone any ideas how to locate and remove the transformer without taking the ceiling down?

As per Tel - sometimes there is a section of flooring above that's been taken up in the past to install the transformer. Murphy's Law is it's now under the bathroom tiles.

I hope the existing transformers are compatible with LED's. I've had experience with identical transformers where some LED's worked and others didn't. Had to change every trans for a driver over time.

Unlikely that the tranny is screwed down. Possibly just clips in the T&E supplying it

I spent a couple of hours a couple of weeks back pulling an landing floor apart to locate 2 x transformers ......... customer not too happy

I'm going back next week to remove the transformers and re-run cables and convert the MR12 to GU10 LED's

My Top Tip for the OP - don't let customers buy products like that ..... or don't agree to fit them.....

I hope the existing transformers are compatible with LED's. I've had experience with identical transformers where some LED's worked and others didn't. Had to change every trans for a driver over time.

Unlikely that the tranny is screwed down. Possibly just clips in the T&E supplying it
It probably is being held by clipped T&E although the transformer I removed has two screws for fixing to a joist. If, as seems likely, the lost transformer is the same type there is the possibility it has been fixed.
I think I will take the supply from the point it was attached to the transformer I removed and put new cable to bypass the lost transformer.

Reply to Can't find Lighting Transformer in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net