Discuss Can't get a wall light to work? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Wall light not working...

Have two wall lights that are connected together on the same circuit, but can't get one of them to work - changed the fitting itself and (obvs) changed bulb...

Seems to be current flowing, cos I hold up a 'cable finder' meter when it is switched on and reading goes through the roof...

Any ideas, cos I've run out... :-(

By cable finder, I guess you mean a non contact voltage detector?

not really effective for fault finding and won’t pick up a broken neutral for example.

If you feel confident, isolate the circuit, and check the connections behind each light.

depending on how it’s wired, you might find a fault straight away, or it could be at a hidden joint box under the floorboards above.
A neutral joint may also be present behind the switch, (newer houses)

By cable finder, I guess you mean a non contact voltage detector?

not really effective for fault finding and won’t pick up a broken neutral for example.

If you feel confident, isolate the circuit, and check the connections behind each light.

depending on how it’s wired, you might find a fault straight away, or it could be at a hidden joint box under the floorboards above.
A neutral joint may also be present behind the switch, (newer houses)
Thanks pal - I’m up for trying and I’m pretty handy...any chance I can send you some pics so you can tell me what I need to try? ‘Broken Neutral’ sounds feasible, but no idea how Is test for it or even fix it - is it a nightmare if it’s all behind the player board or realitvely straightforward...sorry for bothering you...I’m at the end of my feather, tried all the obvious things (I think) so would appreciate any help/advice you can give? ?

Attachments

• Can't get a wall light to work? 2021-04-02 15.51.39 - EletriciansForums.net
    2021-04-02 15.51.39.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Can't get a wall light to work? 2021-04-02 15.51.45 - EletriciansForums.net
    2021-04-02 15.51.45.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 22
The earth wires, although sleeved should be connected to the fitting in the central terminal... it may have just come out when you took it off the wall.

Is this a photo of each wall light? I don’t see why there’s two reds and only one black?

Have they ever worked?

The earth wires, although sleeved should be connected to the fitting in the central terminal... it may have just come out when you took it off the wall.

Is this a photo of each wall light? I don’t see why there’s two reds and only one black?

Have they ever worked?
This is where I completely show my lack of knowledge....

So this particular one was plastered over - I manged to fish the cables out this morning using and inspection camera with a hook attached to it....

I've moved the earth wires out of the way whilst I fiddle about - would that cause the light to not work?

Attached a little video to show a bit more....

Attachments

• 2021-04-02 16.03.09.mov
    28.6 MB
Ooo. I should have got back to this earlier....

stop what you’re doing before you get a shock.

You’ve got a metal switch there, that appears to be earthed, but as the earths are disconnected at the light, there might not be an earth path back to the board.

you really need an electrician with test equipment to find what cable is what.
we can’t really advise from afar.
It may be a simple fix, or it may not. The fact the cables were in the wall suggests they haven’t been used for a while and may be damaged (hence why old wall lights were taken out)

if you are on my side of m'cr, i.e. west/southwest, be happy to call and see if i can fix. sensible rates for forum members.

You’ve got a metal switch there, that appears to be earthed, but as the earths are disconnected at the light, there might not be an earth path back to the board.

It may be a simple fix, or it may not. The fact the cables were in the wall suggests they haven’t been used for a while and may be damaged (hence why old wall lights were taken out)

Th
Thanks - don’t suppose you know of any good electricians in Manchester that you would recommend? B.

“Sensible” means quality alcohol, not the supermarkets own pish
Lidl's sell me theakston's. that's not pish. pish is the cheap lager, most lager is pish anyway.

Reply to Can't get a wall light to work? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock