Discuss Can’t get lights to work in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So that's a few votes in favour so I've given it a think about.
I'll be rewiring my new house soon before we move in. I can't get my head round wanting to use this method at all.
I reckon leaving spare conduits to switches and using three core for switch drops should cover me for any alterations in the future.

It makes fault finding quicker as you can go to the one JB and test every cable/point without having to move around and take a lot of points apart.
I can't really see any major advantage these days over taking feeds to switches, both methods leave you with one cable at the light so it's easier to fit stupid designer fittings.

If you have to do a surface installation in an old fashioned wooden beam construction a carefully planned joint box system can leave you with the minimum number of visible cables, or for any clipped surface installation for that matter.

It makes fault finding quicker as you can go to the one JB and test every cable/point without having to move around and take a lot of points apart.
I can't really see any major advantage these days over taking feeds to switches, both methods leave you with one cable at the light so it's easier to fit stupid designer fittings.

If you have to do a surface installation in an old fashioned wooden beam construction a carefully planned joint box system can leave you with the minimum number of visible cables, or for any clipped surface installation for that matter.

That's a situation I hadn't thought of :thumbsup:

EDIT: wonder if the OP is sorted yet or should I continue with the derailment ?

Only if you can find the JB though?

Only if you can find the JB though?

Of course, a note on the DB schedule/circuit list saying where each one is helps with this.
[automerge]1581769945[/automerge]
future smart switch installation.

and not have the confusion of blue wires being live (yes, I know they should have brown sleeving)

Yes, but that's an advantage of both feeds at switches and the joint box method.

Now I’ve actually thought about the junction box method in loft space does make sense certainly not hidden ones for ground floor lights. Only concern is if the box is a mess and you have multiple Permenant lives in a block and over time you get loose connection or increased likelihood with more cores as opposed to 3 lives in 3 plate method or even wago connection not secure they seem great to me by the way never had issues but still fairly new. Just sceptical about it but can see the pros of doing it this way. Also yes Ikea lights ?‍♂️?

Reply to Can’t get lights to work in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net