Discuss Can't get staircase timer to work in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
(diy level) Does anyone have experience with staircase/corridor timer switches. I've bought about 6 different makes of the damn things and I can't get any to work. I've been getting advice from a self described electronics expert but he has not been able to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Before Christmas I called in an electrician to wire them up but he took one look and said that they won't work without a "momentary push button". I was using an ordinary light switch. I've ordered a push button from RS components. Hopefully it will arrive Monday or Tuesday.

I can't understand what difference a momentary push button makes. Here is a previous cry for help on All about Circuits forum: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/cant-get-staircase-timer-to-work.163212/

Can you post up details/a picture of the staircase timer you are trying to get to work?

It sounds like you have the type which requires a short pulse to start the timer, which is where the momentary switch (usually referred to as a retractive switch when describing wiring accessories) comes in.
By using a normal switch it will probably either:
turn the lights on when the switch is moved from closed to open.
result in the light being permanently on when the switch is closed.
Turn the light on whne the switch is moved from open to closed only.

Using an on/off type switch, the timer is being told to start counting whenever the power is on. It’s being told to start... which would be all the time.
A momentary switch would tell it to start, and that’s it.

an example of a momentary switch is a doorbell push button

CP: Are you replacing the usual two way switches at top and bottom of the stairs with two timer switches?

Could you tell us the make and model number of the switches you are using/have used?

Yes albeit a one-way rather than the two-way you ordered would have been 'better'. Someone (or me later when I have finished cooking) needs to show you how to connect its terminals so that if you push either side the desired switching happens.

Reply to Can't get staircase timer to work in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net