Discuss Can't open door on a Schneider Quadbox in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mel hadfield

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi
Wonder if anyone else has had this problem, I am trying to open the door on a new Schneider Electric Quadbreak 250A Switch Disconnector SQB2503L Isolator 3P+N but the security handle only comes half way then jams against something solid. I have taken the guts out of the case to examine it and I have enclosed some pics here, it appears to me to be an assembly fault as, when the cam on the spring loaded mechanism is half way, the lugs hit against a grey pipe and won't go any further?
The first pic shows the cam position when opening handle is half way open, as in pic2, pic 3 and 4 show the cam and handle in the closed or door shut position.quadbreak1.jpgquadbreak2.jpgquadbreak3.jpgquadbreak4.jpg

Handle definitely fully out, there's a lot of tension on the spring mechanism when I get to half open, then it's just solid and looking inside at the cam with the lugs on, they hit against what looks like a grey metal pipe which runs the length of the unit, so it can't go any further?

Yes as you start to move the handle it will compress the spring which opens the switch, then that cam will make contact with the round grey bar which I think is what actually moves the carriage.
At this point it becomes a lot harder to move the handle and usually needs quite a bit of effort to actually move the switch, especially when its loose and isn't bolted to the wall.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with this one but I've switched hundreds of similar ones and they sometimes take a lot of effort.

As Dave says above I think it's because it's loose and not fixed to a wall.
I doubt it's an assembly fault, unless it's been returned by someone who has jammed it.

Just a thought, is the door off now while you're trying to switch it off, there may be a mechanical interlock that needs the door closed to switch it off.

Yes, when they are not fixed a wall you may need to put a knee or foot on it to hold it in place while you switch it.
If it has been supplied in the on position then somebody must have switched it from off to on so the mechanism must work.

Yes, good point Dave, the door is off but there is no interlock, it just lifts off it's hinges.
I put all my weight on it but won't budge, either faulty or seized, think it's going back to the supplier.

There is normally a mechanism to prevent it being switched on when the door is open or as in your case taken off. But seeing as the switch is on this shouldn't make a difference I would have thought. Have you tried it again with the door fitted.

I have, the door was fitted when I took it out of the box, new, but the handle was in the ON position, which suggests someone else has messed with this and had the same problem as I am having, couldn't get it to OFF position.

Reply to Can't open door on a Schneider Quadbox in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net