Discuss Can’t work out what’s going on in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Old 2D light today being changed to LED.
2 black cables going to neutral and 1 red cable to live.
turned off light switch and removed old light and the 2 black cables were still live and all other lights on this circuit all knocked out. Can someone explain what’s going on

Can’t work out what’s going on D43232FB-49C8-4520-B63D-439DA31DA007 - EletriciansForums.net

........turned off light switch and removed old light
You didn't isolate the circuit, you just turned the light out at the light switch.

The wiring that goes through that light fitting also supplies other lights elsewhere so there's current flowing through the neutrals....right up to the point where you separated them and one of them would have assumed full mains voltage.

You were lucky this time if you still have eye brows in tact, take it as a lesson and in future isolate circuits at the CU before you attempt any wiring.

edit beaten to the post by Mr Sparkykent :)

OP , can I safely assume it’s a conduit system wired in singles ?

You have a switched live and neutrals looped via the light

(Should have really isolated at the board)

First (and only) time I did that as an apprentice, up steps.... How the tradesmen laughed as I flew backwards...

Seriously though... I'll repeat what others have said. You get a live reading on the neutrals from the return path of the other lights in the circuit. By separating the neutrals, there was no where for the electricity to go

OP , can I safely assume it’s a conduit system wired in singles ?

You have a switched live and neutrals looped via the light

(Should have really isolated at the board)
Yes. Conduit system.
couldn’t work out why there was 2 neutrals and only 1 red live

The circuit may have more than one switch line but a continuous neutral. You may be at the end of one switch line with the neutral looping through.

Neutrals looped through lights and lines looped through switches ?

Surely you must know why there was voltage on the parted neutrals on a live circuit ? If not you should definitely get someone who knows what they are doing to help you.
I’m sorry, just want to understand as I thought neutrals don’t normally carry voltage. I just want to understand why I’m seeing voltage there
Sorry for my ignorance

I’m sorry, just want to understand as I thought neutrals don’t normally carry voltage. I just want to understand why I’m seeing voltage there
Sorry for my ignorance
Voltage is akin to a pressure applied to conductors, it doesn't flow anywhere.

the answer is that the neutrals are parted so that the L from other lights on the circuit has no return path to the installation neutral, so there is no current flow, hence no volt drop, so what was a N is now live.

My old college lecturer said think of a shopping trolley full of shopping as your current and the person pushing it is the voltage (or something like that)

My old college lecturer said think of a shopping trolley full of shopping as your current and the person pushing it is the voltage (or something like that)
mine used to liken it to water in a pipe. the water pressure (or gravity) was the voltage, or potiential, and the water flow was the current. if you block the end of the pipe ( akin to cutting the N), then the water in the pipe has the same potential at both ends.

mine used to liken it to water in a pipe. the water pressure (or gravity) was the voltage, or potiential, and the water flow was the current. if you block the end of the pipe ( akin to cutting the N), then the water in the pipe has the same potential at both ends.

But how do you make a circuit? you need to get the water back up to make pressure...
I know... a perpetual energy machine!! theres a thread on here somewhere about that...;)

But how do you make a circuit? you need to get the water back up to make pressure...
I know... a perpetual energy machine!! theres a thread on here somewhere about that...;)
Recharge the battery, Put some more money in the meter, build more nuclear Power Stations.

Sorry for my ignorance
Probably not the best way of finding out.....
Maybe safer ways of learning than playing with un-isolated circuits...

Could of got a nasty surprise.. as mentioned before don't reconnect whilst still live...
Get the help of someone that can help sort this out for you..

Reply to Can’t work out what’s going on in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock