Discuss capping is it illegal in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi everyone I have just visited my besties mums house which he is getting ready for sale after she passed , hes having a fair amount of work done including wiring ,contractor has first fixed and clipped cables to wall no capping , metal or plastic, throughout the property chasers not wide enough for capping to be fitted at a later date . my question is I would fit capping as good practice end of..but shall I poke my nose in and tell him to as its a reg
or just mind my own businesss , but it is my best buds house and dont want to see him wronged ....

Capping's just there to protect the cables against the plasterer's trowel. If the plasterer is careful, there's no need for capping. You won't find a reg stating it's required. It's unusual not to put any on (for longer lengths), or oval conduit... but as long as the plasterer's careful, it'll be fine.

hi everyone I have just visited my besties mums house which he is getting ready for sale after she passed , hes having a fair amount of work done including wiring ,contractor has first fixed and clipped cables to wall no capping , metal or plastic, throughout the property chasers not wide enough for capping to be fitted at a later date . my question is I would fit capping as good practice end of..but shall I poke my nose in and tell him to as its a reg
or just mind my own businesss , but it is my best buds house and dont want to see him wronged ....
Ignore the person who has rated your post as 'dumb' Bonjovi. The 'dumb' rating should not be allowed, it is disrespectful and rude.

Your question is a million miles from dumb, perhaps a little unexpected from an Arms member, but not dumb :)

Ignore the person who has rated your post as 'dumb' Bonjovi. The 'dumb' rating should not be allowed, it is disrespectful and rude.

Your question is a million miles from dumb, perhaps a little unexpected from an Arms member, but not dumb :)
It’s strange how some regular members who post on here are often rated with negative icons....usually by those “ghost members” who rarely (if ever) post comments on here!:mad:

Incidentally, should the afore mentioned “ghost members” be reading this and feel the need to rate this post with a “dumb”.........
capping is it illegal 30D9D5E6-7EED-4EFD-852E-7F53D4671A55 - EletriciansForums.net

Depends where it is - if it's in a safe zone then no capping required - however if the concealed cables aren't in a safe zone then additional mechanical protection is needed. (or did that all change in 2008 when RCDs on everything came in ? - looks like it didn't)

see link for safe zones and more details
RCDs: protection of cables concealed in walls or partitions - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/54/rcds-protection-of-cables-concealed-in-walls-or-partitions/

Reply to capping is it illegal in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock