Discuss Capping - Yes / No in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Cirrus

Ok, on all the sites I have worked on there seems to be a continual confusion regarding capping and the requirements for it. As I understood it (16th ed) capping cables in walls although good practice - isn't actually a requirement under the regs (unless running diagonally from cooker switch to outlet).
Discuss!!

you can't use capping as mechanical protection for running diagonally :eek: ...has to be ye olde earthed metal conduit.

and yah, isn't a requirement at all...just used to protect cables from rough-arse plasterers floats innit.

i tend to use it on vertical cable runs even if the walls are gettin boarded. gives a little mechanical protection at least...

If you look in the OSG it shows a diaganol run from cooker switch to outlet and states it needs capping

how much protection is capping going to give when buried in the wall, get the drill out - feel resistance - push harder, come on every one has done this, especially on a well priced job.

If you look in the OSG it shows a diaganol run from cooker switch to outlet and states it needs capping

Nope. It states that it needs "protection" (assuming <=50mm depth). No mention of capping anywhere. Prior to that, in the first paragraph, it describes the required protection as "earthed metal conduit (trunking or ducting)".

Exact requirements at 522.6.6 and 522.6.8 :)

Capping was never intended as a precaution against a wayward drill but purely to prevent the plasterers trowel from 'nicking' the cables.

Capping is used mainly to protect pvc cables coming in to contact with plaster, especially lime based plaster which over time breaks down the insulation. It was never ever used for machanical protection, you can easily press a drawing pin through it, metal capping is a real pain-- crazy earthing problems etc, though some insist because they is stupid. -;)

Spot on wattsup. Capping was originally introduced to prevent plaster coming into contact with the cable insulation. Originally a wooden feature, capping prevented the chemicals in the plaster reacting with rubber insulation and actually rotting it away.

And before anybody asks I am not old enough to have installed any of it - but I have removed quite a bit.

The biggest pain with capping is nobody seems to produce a decent capping pin. that and my thumb nail if I can only get hold of 25mm and not 35mm. :eek::eek:

i pulled some old cables out of another job in leeds a while back it was in the ceiling voids pinned to the joists. it was like a dual compartment mini wooden trucking.

clout nails or ok with capping so long as its breeze block!

how does dri wall adhesive do then does that react over time with a cable??

rich

i pulled some old cables out of another job in leeds a while back it was in the ceiling voids pinned to the joists. it was like a dual compartment mini wooden trucking.

clout nails or ok with capping so long as its breeze block!

how does dri wall adhesive do then does that react over time with a cable??

rich

That is sort of why plastic capping was used , when the plasters used to sand and cement walls the lime in the cement would eat away at the cabling over time ..

Cripes that is old ! Its called Casing & Capping.

Pulled a load of it out of a spot in Bradford a few years back !

Just so that I can get this straight:

IF the cable(s) are in the 150mm zones, or verticle of horizontal from switches/jb´s AND have RCD protection THEN they do not need physical protection???

Interesting point above on capping helping to prevent corrosion of cables by the plaster - cheap, flex conduit would serve in that case?

Reply to Capping - Yes / No in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock