Discuss capping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tedglen2

Hello – I am hoping to get a new ring set up for the upstairs and downstairs of my house. I have spoken to an electrician and he has agreed that I can run all the cable to all the sockets and just to leave 8 inch of wire and he will come and wire them up and fit new consumer unit.

Only problem is, I have asked him what do I cap with cables with within the walls. He said there is no need? He said plaster can plaster over them, or even I could fill them before skim coat?

Is this ok?

Yes you do not have to use capping, but its only okay in my opinion if you fill the chase as he said.

Screwfix or TLC- Direct will have capping.

I just looked at our forum sponsor Meteor website but did not see any to give you a link.

he is correct. capping chases is not necessary. however, as he's putting his name to the installation, he should inspect the cables before you fill in over them, so as to satisfy himself that they are run in the correct way and undamaged.

thats good news. is there anything i should clip the wires to the wall with ? also what is best to fill them with before plastering over ?

what size capping will i need for two 2.5mm cables ?

1" capping will do it Tower PVC Channel 25mm x 2m (40m) Pack of 20 | screwflix..com

You may need some hardened capping nails if you going into brick Capping Nails 25mm x 2.5mm Pack of 100 | screwflix..com
Although I find some wide head clout nails into the mortar course works pretty well.

Also I had someone else tell me that if I fill directly onto cable it will corrode the cable ?
Your cable is double insulated, the internal provides voltage insulation the outer sheath provides protection against the standard environments the cable would be expected to be fitted in, so who ever told you plaster would corrode the cable is talking out their rear end, hopefully not the electrician who is following your work as this would question what exactly he does know, also to note here is because you are not an electrician make sure you have a copy of On site Guide of either electrical 17th edition or building regs as both these will have guide lines as to cable zoning etc. (you cant just run chases in any manor but have to follow guidelines)

The chases are allowed to be ran vertically from the floor or ceiling direct to the accessory or horizontally from one accessory to another.

i am a bit too .... he just said leave 8 inches on each socket. and make sure to drill holes through joists 2 inch down. is there a max to how many wires i should put through one hole in each joist ?

Give him a call Ted, he's getting the work anyway so won't mind. That way all and any questions you have can be answered in one hit and he's got the feeling you're not wasting his time because he's involved right from the off all the way through.
I'd prefer my clients to do that rather than go to an internet forum mate

lol - you are right, i just didn’t wont to bother him while he at work. is there any where online i can look up regations

You'd need to buy the regs (look up BS7671) but you won't understand much of it........

This book will give a more generalised view "Which?" Book of Wiring and Lighting: Amazon.co.uk: Mike Lawrence: Books It may be at your local library and will include wiring safe zones, where you can drill joists, etc.

But (and i agree with the above) you are supposed to be doing the wiring under the supervision of the person who is going to sign it off as his own work. So he needs to supervise.

Reply to capping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock