• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Car backup camera WiFi interference in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I just got a 2.4 GHz backup camera, that seems well-designed and manufactured, which my mechanic installed for me, it gets power from the reverse-light power line, and it works nicely when I put the gear in reverse. I drive a 13-year old car in great shape.

I'm still having issues with the monitor (that's attached to the "cigarette lighter"): while driving in the neighborhood it would occasionally (once, twice in a minute) turn on the blue screen for a couple seconds. I'm not sure if it's WiFi interference that is normal, or loose connection at the "cigarette lighter" or wire-connection issues? Or some fault of the product?

What do you think?

I live in an urban area, so I drive among houses, buildings and businesses. If we suspect it to be WiFi interference, I might take a drive out on an open highway this weekend....

Ok. The monitor is powered all the time. The camera is only powered when car is in reverse?

It’s picking up interference from somewhere... almost impossible to trace.
The monitor is sensing an input, so turns on the screen, but the “signal” isn’t a distinguishable pattern that it can turn into a video image.

Is the camera mounted close to any other electrical equipment? Number plate light, rear wiper? There may be a way to shield it from interference, but it could be something you just have to live with.

First, thanks, guys, for your QUICK responses....
Yes, as you described it, the monitor is blank when car is driving forward, but once I put gear in R it will receive the input from the camera. Problem is, while driving forward, the monitor would occasionally turn blue for couple seconds, then blank again. Yes, the camera is right above and attached to the license plate, right under the 2 small lights. nothing else is there, though rear lights on the sides. But I suspect something is bothering the monitor, not the camera. I tried driving with my iPhone turned off, still the same.

Reply to Car backup camera WiFi interference in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back