Discuss Car Battery Alternative in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

grokuk

-
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'd appreciate some advice and your patience at my lack of knowledge of things electrical. The situation I have is I need to run a diesel pump that is designed to run off a standard car battery but I'm not using it to pump diesel or do it anywhere near a car. I would like to have some form of transformer to power it off the mains.

I have a little 12v 0.5amp transformer for light electrical items which clearly doesn't do the job - I'm assuming it's the very low ampage that's barely turning the pump over. I'd really appreciate some recommendations on the kind of transformer I'd need to essentially reproduce the output of a car battery.

Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum grokuk.

Leaving this thread in the general section but please treat it as a DIY question & member. Thanks.

hello all,

i'd appreciate some advice and your patience at my lack of knowledge of things electrical. The situation i have is i need to run a diesel pump that is designed to run off a standard car battery but i'm not using it to pump diesel or do it anywhere near a car. I would like to have some form of transformer to power it off the mains.

I have a little 12v 0.5amp transformer for light electrical items which clearly doesn't do the job - i'm assuming it's the very low ampage that's barely turning the pump over. I'd really appreciate some recommendations on the kind of transformer i'd need to essentially reproduce the output of a car battery.

Many thanks.
you need to find out what current the pump draws. Then you can determine the size of power supply you will need. POST YOUR LOCATION AND ONE OF US MAY BE CLOSE ENOUGH TO ADVISE.

I'm pumping wine from one very large barrel to another. The pump details are:

Test Voltage: DC 12V
Motor Racing Speed: 8500r/min
Motor racing current: 0.3A
Pump running current largest :6.4A
Flow rate: 30L /min
Pressure head: 2.5M

If that helps. Not sure what's meant by the load?

'Thinking outside the box' is a nice cliché for a job interview or an episode of The Apprentice but can cause problems when it comes to electricity.
What is it that you're actually trying to do? Chances are someone has done it before and there is already a way of doing it without you having to guess.

Typical portable 12V fuel transfer pumps require something in the order of 15-25A; post the spec of your pump.

The cold cranking amps needed to turn over and start a Diesel engine are quite high.
Probably be cheaper to use a battery with a trickle charger.

He's not starting a diesel engine. He's running a pump. And not for pumping diesel anyway. Daz

He's not starting a diesel engine. He's running a pump. And not for pumping diesel anyway. Daz
Who knows what he's doing? He's trying to get a diesel pump to work in a way it wasn't designed for, for a purpose it wasn't designed for, for reasons unspecified.
Solve for x.

Well we know he's trying to run a pump and NOT start a diesel engine. Daz

The cold cranking amps needed to turn over and start a Diesel engine are quite high.
Probably be cheaper to use a battery with a trickle charger.

Dont think he wants to start an engine but thats a plausible idea as a PSU for a pump of the (size unknown but guessed) wont be cheap and the setup you mentioned will be fine.

No your not!!!... unless this wine is going for waste, food and beverage pumps have strict guidelines to meet and you cannot take any old pump and decide to use it no matter how much you clean it up first or even if its new, unless you wish to risk making all you customers very ill, I would purchase the correct equipment no matter how expensive it may be, otherwise you may face some criminal charges for breaching food and beverage hygiene regulations, specifically the equipment used in its making and storage.

To note here, Wine and similar is acidic and pumps requiring a specific stainless steel grade of 316 or higher, also the seals and all associated hosing etc has to be graded for use with wine or chemical reactions may occur leading to contamination, even if this is just a one off transfer, using the wrong equipment can ruin the whole lot taste wise or make it not suitable for consumption due to chemical contamination.

A little Gobsmacked here tbh, unless you can correct me, but as I read it you are going to pump wine for eventual consumption using a diesel pump, have I got that correct?

Last edited:
Cut out all the tedious brewing malarkey and just drink the diesel! Not all that different, comes in red and white versions just like wine, in my marine engineering days I must have had a few glasses of it.

On another note that's weird, I never saw the post* about the application and pump rating which is why I asked, but it's a bit academic now as there seems to be a better option that won't have non-food-grade lubrication etc like a diesel pump.

*I guess it was waiting for moderation, so not that weird then.

Last edited:
Cut out all the tedious brewing malarkey and just drink the diesel! Not all that different, comes in red and white versions just like wine, in my marine engineering days I must have had a few glasses of it.

On another note that's weird, I never saw the post* about the application and pump rating which is why I asked, but it's a bit academic now as there seems to be a better option that won't have non-food-grade lubrication etc like a diesel pump.

Yes was in the Mod Queue for 4hrs... sometimes we are all busy working our butts off :4:and we get the odd post that stands in the Mod Q longer than the norm' :uhoh2:

pete999 should be able to adjudicate here. he drinks that french coats de roan muck. just like red diesel.

On another note that's weird, I never saw the post* about the application and pump rating which is why I asked, but it's a bit academic now as there seems to be a better option that won't have non-food-grade lubrication etc like a diesel pum

The beauty of diesel is that one mouthfuls bouquet and taste lasts for days. :)

Pull the PSU out of a dead PC, Google will tell you how to turn in on in the absence of a motherboard/on/off signal = 12v @ more than enough amps.

I hope this is homebrew only.

Reply to Car Battery Alternative in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock