Discuss Car battery charging, how high should voltage go? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bluecars

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I bought a car battery charger and plugged it on my car battery to test it (normal battery not AGM). my battery was probably already fully charged because I drove with my car just before using the charger. So this happened: the voltage on the charger started at around 12v? (not sure exactly... maybe a bit lower) and then slowly went up to 15.8v in about 5 minutes then I unplugged it because I wasnt sure if that is normal, I never charged a car battery before. Is it normal that the voltage went that high and how high is it suppoed to go?

Alternator will charge a battery when driving, normal sort of reading will be 14.4 when driving or tick over.
A smart alternator will only charge when the battery needs it, but smart alternators only seem to be about in the last 3-4years
A healthy 12v battery will be in the 12.4 - 12.8 range

Hi, I bought a car battery charger and plugged it on my car battery to test it (normal battery not AGM). my battery was probably already fully charged because I drove with my car just before using the charger. So this happened: the voltage on the charger started at around 12v? (not sure exactly... maybe a bit lower) and then slowly went up to 15.8v in about 5 minutes then I unplugged it because I wasnt sure if that is normal, I never charged a car battery before. Is it normal that the voltage went that high and how high is it suppoed to go?
Was the battery on or off the car ?

Is the volt meter accurate ?

Smart ecu controlled alternators were around in about 2015.

Was the battery on or off the car ?

Is the volt meter accurate ?

Smart ecu controlled alternators were around in about 2015.

He's not been back since his original message last November

Reply to Car battery charging, how high should voltage go? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net