Discuss Car chargers coming... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Bought a new little Cudis metal DB the other day.. on the circuit labels they now have CAR CHARGER.. the first of many I'm thinking!

Have many sparks fitted any of these yet and what have been your experiences?
I've done one for myself, just like a new cooker circuit really.
I believe the authorities are thinking of adding these to new builds soon; another source of retrofit work :)

It's all new stuff...like having your first baby...never done one before, but different.
I couldn't eat a whole one though...

think of it as adding a small garage CU and adding the rod. the chargers have the required RCD's in them. pretty straight forward.
In terms of new builds they will fit a basic back plate which can then be used by the owner to put the correct faceplate on ie type 1 or type 2 connection, or tethered lead verses socket for the car they one day buy. others are going for the basic rolec wallpod with standard socket that can be upgraded to a full fast charger at a later date.
The rolec ones have come on in quality as to begin with they were a bit iffy, but now seem better, i think ev:box are by far the best for quality. sort of the Apple of the ev world.

I had a basic Rolec but changed it for a Zappi smart charger.. they seem to be ahead of the game in terms of integration of solar PV generation. Next step is Grid sharing to balance out demand..

It's not so much like an Apple burit does seem to be the only/first domestic smart charger. I expect others will follow..
It doesnt cost much to charge up an ev, especially overnight on E7 about £1.50 but may as well use the sun for free when itsion the driveway.. :)

I've decided to do the City & Guilds course in Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation as I would like to enter this emerging market and create new opportunities for my business. Has anyone else done this course, or considering it?
Looked into it but didnt do it, instead if did the one day NICEIC course then contacted the manufacturers who do there own free training courses/days. as this was sufficient to get the OLEV approval. cheaper too.

Reply to Car chargers coming... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net