Discuss Car chargers/Professional Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 9648

Anyone read the article on car charger points in the latest PE mag?
It talks about earthing systems and states that if a garage is NOT on a TNS/TNCS earthing arrangement it may not be possible to install an electric car charger port as a TT earth means there has to be 10m between it and any conductive parts on the garage.....Cant see anything specific in the BGB on electric car chargers so where is this coming from?

could it be "let's make up a new regulation" at the niceic tea party?

This is the ridiculous information in the IEE guidance note on Electric vehicle charging points, I think it derives from accessible parts on different earthing systems; car is 4m long, cable is five metres so the end of the car has to be away from another earthing system. Wholly impractical in any domestic situation.
It also states that if you have a TNS earthing system then you must be able to ensure that it is not near any TNCS and will not be converted to TNCS at any time in the future!
And TT earthing is preferred over any other earthing system!

Last edited:
This is the ridiculous information in the IEE guidance note on Electric vehicle charging points, I think it derives from accessible parts on different earthing systems; car is 4m long, cable is five metres so the end ofthe car has to be away from another earthing system. Wholly impractical in nay domestic situation.
It also states that if you have a TNS earthing system then you must be able to ensure that it is not near any TNCS and will not be converted to TNCS at any time in the future!
And TT earthing is preferred over any other earthing sytem!

Ah!...so it has come from somewhere....but extract from PE mag-

"Small sites without a garage on TNS/TNCS supplies may not be suitable for an EVCP installation,due to the specific issues of safety relating to the earthing of equipment where located outside of the equipotential zone. The close proximity of conductive parts on the users property and neighbouring installations may preclude the use of a TT system of earthing due to the 10m separation distance required"

Now I read that as saying a TT may not be an option...or maybe I am reading it wrong?

I think the idea from IEE is to convert everything to TT so it is now safe!

Here are some extracts from the guidance note covering simultaneous contact and methods to overcome this!
Hope they are readable.
EVCP Simul contact.jpg
EVCP TNCS 10m.jpg
EVCP TNCS convert.jpg

You'd have to be a complete bloody idiot, to change out a domestic's PME supply in favour of a TT system, just to charge a car!! If that's the best the IEE can come up with, god help us all!!

i am installing an outdoor socket 13amp for a nissan leaf slow charger it draws 10amps. The people selling £600 charge stations say not to do this, because 10amp is a lot of strain on a 13amp socket. oh and it is not on it's own dedicated circuit. customer wants a outdoor socket on a rcd protected ring he can use it for what he wants,

You treat this as you treat any system with different potentials. You bond them together. The neighbouring property 99.9% of the time will be on the same distribution circuit, so effectively bonded.
Generators and transformers have to be bonded to any metalwork that is within reach to avoid a rise in potential, especially during fault conditions. I beleive it's in GN8, but in my experience, we've done it on site.

What gets me, is who IS IT that's signing up and paying money for these stupid 'courses' anyway?!!

had a catalogue from nic/eca/elecsa selling their overpriced gadgets. some of them are vehicle charging points, mentioning "special communication" between vehicle and socket? .... are they any different to a 16amp socket? or just 10x the price and fancy enclosure?

had a catalogue from nic/eca/elecsa selling their overpriced gadgets. some of them are vehicle charging points, mentioning "special communication" between vehicle and socket? .... are they any different to a 16amp socket? or just 10x the price and fancy enclosure?

Yet another money making opportunity landed on their laps?!?!

What's happened to their Charitable status, can't seem to find it on the NICEIC website?
Hope you all get share options when they go PLC!!!

If you attended a course you'd learn that the reason that people are advised against the standard plug top are; 1) it needs 10-12hrs to fully charge, 2) can not claim any grants for install 3) does not communicate with car to optimise battery life.

Hence the different Mode chargers.
But then that's why there is a course for ELVC! Now who's the idiot?

If you attended a course you'd learn that the reason that people are advised against the standard plug top are; 1) it needs 10-12hrs to fully charge, 2) can not claim any grants for install 3) does not communicate with car to optimise battery life.

Hence the different Mode chargers.
But then that's why there is a course for ELVC! Now who's the idiot?

Certainly not me!
I got all my electrical quals through 'Proper' Further/Higher Education establishments, at a reasonable price, not money grabbing enterprises like NICEIC and all these training providers.

I'm all for training, just the way one goes about it that concerns me.

Reply to Car chargers/Professional Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net