Discuss Car Dashboard playing up in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DanielleB

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone help. My car is usually very reliable but I've noticed some strange goings on with my dashboard lately..
First time I noticed an issue, the entire thing was lighting up and staying on when I turned the engine off and removing the key... everything worked as normal when the car was running.

Then a couple of days later instead of remaining on, the dashboard was flickering.. again, everything was normal while running.

I took it to an auto electrician, (typically it was working fine on this day) and I don't think they really checked anything, rang me an hour later and said nothing was wrong.. despite me having shown them the video of it flickering.

Now, it is working normally the majority of time but does occasionally flicker. Also, recently the fuel gauge has began to update ridiculously slowly when it used to be instant. And now the "miles left" part of this is not updating at all until it gets down to 0, then just starts again..(so never actually is accurate)

The car is 8 years old and has not had a battery replacement in this time.. it still starts fine, but could it be a battery issue? Or an electrical fault..?

Thank you for all your help,
Danielle

A failing battery can cause weird things to happen with modern cars, but also some cars have known faults, and you won't be the first to have had it.
It would probably help if you said what make and model your car is

If it had been a BMW I might have been able to help from experience, but a quick Google brings up a flickering dashboard staying on fault after the engine is switched off, but this applies only to the Mk1 version of your car up to 2012.
Get your auto electrician to look up Toyota service bulletin BE-0070T-0514, referring to the eco run converter whatever that is.

Try this link:

Reply to Car Dashboard playing up in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net