Discuss Car marker light as blinker in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lukan6

DIY
Reaction score
Hello there!

I really need some help with my electrical setup. I am trying to run 2 marker lights on the top of my Mercedes Sprinter on the rear door. I checked and everything fits, however, there is a problem with the wiring. I want a device that powers the marker light when the parking lights are on and blinks(in sync) when I have turn signals on. It is just 1 positive and 1 negative(so it is single colour and non-dimming).

I searched for over a month and i can't find a relay that can do the job. I was wondering if you guys had any product suggestions that matches my description or any other ideas that I could try. It would help me out SOOOO much!

Hello there!

I really need some help with my electrical setup. I am trying to run 2 marker lights on the top of my Mercedes Sprinter on the rear door. I checked and everything fits, however, there is a problem with the wiring. I want a device that powers the marker light when the parking lights are on and blinks(in sync) when I have turn signals on. It is just 1 positive and 1 negative(so it is single colour and non-dimming).

I searched for over a month and i can't find a relay that can do the job. I was wondering if you guys had any product suggestions that matches my description or any other ideas that I could try. It would help me out SOOOO much!
Are you using them as left and right signals as well ?

Have you got a circuit diagram for what you are trying to do?
Is it anything like this project:
Hello,
I had watched this video previously and it made sense, however I am concerned about the speed of the flasher and that it would not be in sync with the factory blinkers. My set up would be similar to the videos. I do not have a diagram so that is why I was asking for any suggestions. I bet it would work. Just the sync part because depending on the fluctuating voltage of the system, the rate it flashes may be offset slightly. Also, I have seen some videos that used 5 pin relays and i saw that the marker lights flashed opposite to that of the blinkers. So it was like a see saw

Hello,
I had watched this video previously and it made sense, however I am concerned about the speed of the flasher and that it would not be in sync with the factory blinkers. My set up would be similar to the videos. I do not have a diagram so that is why I was asking for any suggestions. I bet it would work. Just the sync part because depending on the fluctuating voltage of the system, the rate it flashes may be offset slightly. Also, I have seen some videos that used 5 pin relays and i saw that the marker lights flashed opposite to that of the blinkers. So it was like a see saw
You need to add a delay so that the marker supply is held off via the relay when the blinker is running.
Probably need to add a diode/cap and transistor to give the delay.

Would this sort of thing do the job?
(presumably there are equivalent products in Canada!)

You need to add a delay so that the marker supply is held off via the relay when the blinker is running.
Probably need to add a diode/cap and transistor to give the delay.
Something like this

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Would this sort of thing do the job?
(presumably there are equivalent products in Canada!)
I have no idea how that works but thanks though 😀

Something like this
To make it as simple as possible, my plan was to tap in to the positive of the parking light and positive of the blinker. So as to run as little wire as possible. I wont use a fuse because the lights draw around 2 amps each so 4 amps total (Nothing too extreme). Not the most safest and cleanest way but wire is expensive 😢

Something like this
In all though, I might scrap the plan and directly leave the lights just constant on to the parking and and no blinking. There is no specific plug and play module on the market to do this. Overall, it would look awesome. I was kinda looking in to trailer harnesses and if they could work.

To make it as simple as possible, my plan was to tap in to the positive of the parking light and positive of the blinker. So as to run as little wire as possible. I wont use a fuse because the lights draw around 2 amps each so 4 amps total (Nothing too extreme). Not the most safest and cleanest way but wire is expensive 😢
That won't work as when the blinker goes for instance it would feed back to the tail lights.
In all though, I might scrap the plan and directly leave the lights just constant on to the parking and and no blinking. There is no specific plug and play module on the market to do this. Overall, it would look awesome. I was kinda looking in to trailer harnesses and if they could work.
So the markers aren't led ? You could always get markers that have 2 bulbs/ leds ? So would have 2 separate circuits ?

Like these.

Last edited:
Something like this
I actually have a great idea. I can use a trailer wiring harness, there are three inputs (Tail/parking lights, stop lights and turn signal). These are designed to work on dimming lights with two settings. So parking light on low setting and stop on high setting. Turn signal will override the stop signal when brakes are pressed and you are turning. So ill wire the stop line input to my parking light and turning to turning light. This way the parking line on module is left empty. So the module will think i am on the brakes constantly thus leaving it on. But will flash same speed when I indicate. Seems very logical but I am not 100% sure this will work
That won't work as when the blinker goes for instance it would feed back to the tail lights.

So the markers aren't led ? You could always get markers that have 2 bulbs/ leds ? So would have 2 separate circuits ?

Like these.
They are led

I have no idea how that works but thanks though 😀
You said in your first post: "I want a device that powers the marker light when the parking lights are on and blinks(in sync) when I have turn signals on. It is just 1 positive and 1 negative(so it is single colour and non-dimming)."
You didn't specify that you needed to know how it worked 🤪

I just suggested the device because it appears to do exactly what you want! ie Install a unit each side of the vehicle taking power from parking light and indicator light, and outputting to the marker light. Job done, apparently! 🙂

I actually have a great idea. I can use a trailer wiring harness, there are three inputs (Tail/parking lights, stop lights and turn signal). These are designed to work on dimming lights with two settings. So parking light on low setting and stop on high setting. Turn signal will override the stop signal when brakes are pressed and you are turning. So ill wire the stop line input to my parking light and turning to turning light. This way the parking line on module is left empty. So the module will think i am on the brakes constantly thus leaving it on. But will flash same speed when I indicate. Seems very logical but I am not 100% sure this will work
It will not work if its going to a single lamp
You said in your first post: "I want a device that powers the marker light when the parking lights are on and blinks(in sync) when I have turn signals on. It is just 1 positive and 1 negative(so it is single colour and non-dimming)."
You didn't specify that you needed to know how it worked 🤪

I just suggested the device because it appears to do exactly what you want! ie Install a unit each side of the vehicle taking power from parking light and indicator light, and outputting to the marker light. Job done, apparently! 🙂
That device will only supply 1 amp max OP said his is around 4 amps.

Good point, 2A each side. Though to be fair that wasn't said until after my suggestion.
2A is surely a lot for an LED marker light?
I asked if they were led he didn't say.

I pointed him to a dual circuit marker light which would suit him.

Bottom of post #14 Lukan6 said "they are led" but maybe I'm misunderstanding what that applied to !
Maybe he meant the ones you were suggesting were led, not the ones he had!
But it seemed to me he was answering your question!
Well if his are led then one led using a few amps ?

Reply to Car marker light as blinker in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net