Discuss Car Ramp 3 Phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mark777s

Hi i am currently installing a Vehicle ramp to my garage, i have discovered that the motor is a dual 3 phase motor and can run on 230 volts 3 phase i have rewired the motor to suit. I am using a Yaskawa Ac Drive V1000 inverter to take 240v single phase to 240v three phase, with the unit programmed i can operate the motor forward and reverse using the override button in control box on solenoids. The problem i have is when using the ramp switch up or down the solenoids are buzzing and not activating these switches,they vibrate when activated as if they are trying to pull in. can anyone help? many thanks.
the picture is of internals of control box on ramp, the two black solenoids are on the right with switches that buzz in the center of them photo.jpg

I dont know anything about these things but have you checked the voltage to the noids and what they are actually being supplied with?

P.S. I assume by noids you are refering to the contactors?

Last edited:
get a proper company in , is it a new ramp? do you know how to set the limit switches? , make sure the load nuts are ok ? and all the other safety stuff on them ?

bet the contactor coils are 415V and you are feeding them with 230V. get an electrician in. won't cost a lot.

when you say dual three phase what exactly do you mean?

First impression is you are giving the coils the wrong voltage, but as usual more information needed.

Get a picture of the motor, inverter and control panel data plates and post them on here.

And what is hiding under all that green/yellow tape? is it by any chance the steel armour of the cable bundled together?

If you only have single phase why not by a single phase ramp?

And last but not least, are you or have you ever been a qualified and experienced electrician?

I've never heard a spark refer to contactors as solenoids, maybe a auto electrician might !!! see as above get an electrician in to give you advice.

Agree with others sound like 415 volt contactors, and by the way that SWA supplying the unit does not look like its made off very well, What's with all the green and yellow tape

From the pic, I'll bet the contactor coils are 24 or 110V a.c. & it is the control transformer thatis expexting to see 400 & is actually getting 230.

Pretty much agree with the other comments though!

ok thanks for the advise/replies will look to get an electrician in, armored cabling was already installed on ramp by previous owner will have this looked at as well. pics of what i now know as contactor coils :wink5: and control transformer any advise would be great incase i need to get parts sorted,many thanksphoto (1).jpgimage.jpg

So the contactor coils are 24V a.c, can't see which terminals are used on the tx, I suspect going from L to R, the middle on the 3way & the extreme RH end.
A pic further out would be good.

Assuming the OP has just read the plate on the motor and the issues hes having with the above its clearly out of his comfort zone and i question whether:-

The Star/Delta arrangement has been altered to the motor otherwise under load you may have torque and trip issues.
As above the voltages present in the control maybe wrong.
Is the Inverter suitably screened and grounded with respect to limiting harmonics and RF issues ... the installation manual should be followed to the T........ Note incorrect screening can cause issues with RCD's in other parts of the installation due to an effect called Blinding where the rcd won't see a genuine fault.

Hopefully as the OP reads this and the impression im getting is this is not something you should attempt yourself unless competent to do so, incorrect terminology and confusion are showing you are not competent so as other have i would have an Electrical Engineer check it out - if you choose an Electrician ensure they are competent in Engineering and control systems this isn't DIY for Electricians it has to be done correctly ..... someone will be working underneath a tonne of metal relying on the fact that the system you have installed is fail safe.... i could express several areas that need addressing when converting a system to inverter control and all require steps to ensure the set-up is fail safe.

Reply to Car Ramp 3 Phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net