Discuss car trailor socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
can any knowledgable guy give me hand or pointers in finding why my trailor socket isint working... ive checked the fuse in carrier 44 and is ok ive turned on indicators and checked for 12v, but didnt get anything...

any pointers im all ears.. ty

What's not working?
Indicators?
Brake lights?
Tail lights?

Have you just fitted the socket or was it on when you got the car / van?
What's the age of the vehicle it's on?

If it's all three it's probably the earth.
If it's a couple of them it's probably just dirty pins.
You need to use a known good light board to test or a plug in tester.

yeah all 3 aint working, the socket was on it when bought it, the age 2001... can you get one of them plug in testers in halfords? and will itdiagnose a bad earth?

ty

Fuse 44? What car is it, older systems wouldn't have a fuse for the trailer socket, it'd just be picked up from the rear lights.
newer systems with multiplex wiring will have a separate control unit for the trailer socket and if I remember correctly wont turn on till they sense a load connected.

bmw 3 20d touring type {2001)

well i plugged trailor in and not working and i know from my last car it was a bad earth.........
Fuse 44? What car is it, older systems wouldn't have a fuse for the trailer socket, it'd just be picked up from the rear lights.
newer systems with multiplex wiring will have a separate control unit for the trailer socket and if I remember correctly wont turn on till they sense a load connected.

Put ya side lights on you should have power to two pins but can't remember which ones, black and brown wires.
Brake lights are red,
indicators are green and orange. Can't remember which way round.
white ground
blue is fog

With you side lights on, what voltage do you have across the brown and white wires
if I remember correctly the center pin is ground so put neg lead from your meter to that, then test at all other pins for voltage. Approx 12v

The indicators normally work through an auxiliary relay / control unit arrangement that provides a bulb failure indication for the indicators using a buzzer or a visual indication on the dash some of these units normally have permanent feed to them via a local in-line fuse. Are you using normal lamps on your trailer board or led's as some of these units will only work with led's if ballast resistors are fitted to give sufficient load for the trailer control to work correctly similarly testing with a multimeter may also give problems or false indications

The best way forward would be to locate the cable and connectors that connect to the 12N socket inside the vehicle and test there if it's a plug and socket connector unplug it and check for continuity and shorts on the cable and 12N socket first. The 12N socket can often be found with corroded connectors and cables

Reply to car trailor socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock